Fermentasaurus conical PET fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on my third brew with the Fermentasaurus, and after trying out just about every type of homebrewing fermenting vessel known to humanity over the last 40 years, I can say, hand on heart, that it is the best I've used to date. For me, it's simply next-level fermenting. And so much fun! (So much so that I now have two!)

My observations so far are thus:

It’s well made and easy to put together, light, and easy to carry even when full thanks to the carrying handles.

It is pretty tall though, so if you like to ferment in a fridge you’ll need a tall larder fridge (mine are 145cm tall, which is the minimum height you need).
It’s great to be able to observe your fermentation as it progresses, and it works brilliantly under airlock and pressure. However, to deny yourself the pressure kit means missing out on the key advantages of this FV.

One of these key advantages for me is the ability to ferment and transfer with minimal (or zero) exposure to oxygen. And no more racking cane! Another is the ability to take samples for tasting or gravity testing with a picnic tap, and another is the ability to carb and serve from the FV, should you feel the need.

But as said above, the really big game changer for me is being able to ferment and transfer with minimal to no exposure to oxygen and no messing about with a racking cane. The Fermentasaurus remains in situ in the fridge, and after cold crashing I simply connect my transfer tubing to the liquid out and in posts on the FV and (purged) keg, and as long as you maintain a slightly higher pressure in the FV than the keg, it works beautifully. Takes a little longer, but that’s not an issue for me.

Things I don’t like?

Not much. I’m not a fan of dropping trub and harvesting yeast, so don’t use the collection vessel. (I’d much rather overbuild a starter than harvest.) It can be used for dry hopping, but the manufacturers recommend only adding 30g at a time. As I regularly dry hop with anything from 150 – 300g, that’s a no-no. Much better to release the pressure, spin the lid off and add dry hops the traditional way, from the top. Screw the lid back on and purge with CO2 a few times, repressurise, and job done. Takes mere seconds. That seems to me to be more sensible than having oxygen bubbling up through the beer via the collection vessel method.

Overall though, I’m delighted with it. By far the best fermenter I’ve ever owned.

Check out this review to see it in action: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_RQKeFlwfA&t=1512s[/ame]

IMG_20170926_083756193.jpg

Very good review. I'm swinging between going for this or stainless myself, you've just swung me back towards the Fermentasaurus. As you say I don't think there's a lot of point without the pressure kit though. One thing that puts me off a little is I've read it only has a recommended 2 year life. Not sure if that's correct and whether it refers to the PET or the pressure seal.

I have been looking at the Fermentasaurus, but then a week or so ago the Robert from Maltmiller tweeted this photo as something they will stock soon. As I only do small 10-15L batches it may be a better solution.

DJsSGooXgAMDkQR.jpg

Corny with a bottom drain valve for dropping yeast (and probably hops) out, so you can ferment and serve from same vessel. Using a spunding valve to control the pressure will also allow carbonation as it ferments. You can of course do this with a normal keg by cutting the dip tube to end above the trub level.

A simpler and probably cheaper alternative to the Blichmann Cornical.

https://www.blichmannengineering.com/products/cornical

Corny with a bottom drain valve for dropping yeast (and probably hops) out, so you can ferment and serve from same vessel. Using a spunding valve to control the pressure will also allow carbonation as it ferments. You can of course do this with a normal keg by cutting the dip tube to end above the trub level.
cost of them saddo?:thumb:

No info as yet. I'll guess somewhere between the price of a new standard keg (£85) and the Fermentosaurus with pressure kit (£144).

Great review. Snazzy looking thing too.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Some sort or corny keg, obviously but what exactly are they?

What a brilliant idea! People have been fermenting in corny kegs for yonks, but this takes it to the next level. Too small for me, but as you say perfect for those who brew smaller batches.

That said, when you ferment under pressure you need less head space as the krausen is kept under control. If that's a standard 19L corny and you allow, say, 2-3L head space and the conical bottom gives you 2-3L, then an 18L batch isn't out of the question. Be interested to see what the spec is when they become available.

Kudos too to Rob. I've found that the Malt Miller is always the first to get the latest kit into the UK. (He beat the competition to the Fermentasaurus by a good month.)

Last edited:
Very good review. I'm swinging between going for this or stainless myself, you've just swung me back towards the Fermentasaurus. As you say I don't think there's a lot of point without the pressure kit though. One thing that puts me off a little is I've read it only has a recommended 2 year life. Not sure if that's correct and whether it refers to the PET or the pressure seal.

It's not that they have a two-year shelf life, rather that, like any pressure vessel, they need testing every so often. In the case of the Fermentasaurus the recommendation is every two years. (If you never use the pressure kit then this can be ignored.)

The manufacturer explains it all here: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPfpgzMMrok[/ame]

Last edited:
What a brilliant idea! People have been fermenting in corny kegs for yonks, but this takes it to the next level. Too small for me, but as you say perfect for those who brew smaller batches.

That said, when you ferment under pressure you need less head space as the krausen is kept under control. If that's a standard 19L corny and you allow, say, 2-3L head space and the conical bottom gives you 2-3L, then an 18L batch isn't out of the question. Be interested to see what the spec is when they become available.

Kudos too to Rob. I've found that the Malt Miller is always the first to get the latest kit into the UK. (He beat the competition to the Fermentasaurus by a good month.)

wish the malt miller would import the Tilt hydrometer as id buy one in a flash:thumb:

still quite new to homebrew but my wife bought me a Fermentasaurus for Christmas.
I have some Brewferm kits and they all give details of how much sugar to add at secondary fermentation.
Is this necessary with the Fermentasaurus and, if so, wouldn't opening it (to put the sugar in) allow oxygen to enter the vessel?
Or should I add the sugar to the bottles and secondary ferment in them?

still quite new to homebrew but my wife bought me a Fermentasaurus for Christmas.
I have some Brewferm kits and they all give details of how much sugar to add at secondary fermentation.
Is this necessary with the Fermentasaurus and, if so, wouldn't opening it (to put the sugar in) allow oxygen to enter the vessel?
Or should I add the sugar to the bottles and secondary ferment in them?

Are you using the pressure lid and fermenting under pressure? As this will leave the beer carbonated to a certain extent.
If not you can prime a keg or bottles with sugar in the normal way.

Latest posts

Back