Fermentasaurus conical PET fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for your reply, at the moment just using it with an air lock - is it worth buying the pressure kit - does it make much of a difference?
In that case you'll need to prime your bottles/keg as normal - you could try using the plastic barb on the butterfly valve with some tubing to fill from, to minimise O2 pick up (although I haven't tried this myself). Its only worth buying the pressure lid if you have corny kegs and CO2 to pressure transfer

thanks again, barb and tube it will be (for now) if it turns out good then I probably won't go pressurised - it may get too complicated for me. give it a few weeks and I will let you know how it tastes.
Brewferm - oud vlaams bruin - brilliant last time, using the old fashioned bucket method.

barb and tube it will be (for now)

Make sure you've ditched all the settled trub and yeast out of the bottom first, if not just rack out of the top as normal.
If you're gonna be using the normal lid long term you can get a racking arm - although you have to drill the body of the FS to use it.

I am happy with the Fermentasaurus. But I don't need the yeast bottle - too mess - I fill the yeast via the reducing couple and hose directly in a jar.

I cover-up the Fermenter to protect the beer from light.

Attachments

• ferm1.jpg
    ferm1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 100
  • fermwt.JPG
    fermwt.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 92
  • fermcov.jpg
    fermcov.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 93
I used the collection bottle, didn't find it messy at all - just closed the valve before removing the bottle.
It was interesting to see the bottle filling with sediment during the fermentation process.
I never thought about keeping the light out but have a superb brew of Oud Vlamms Bruin.
Got another brew to start this week and will see if covering the contraption makes a difference.

I like the butterfly valve replacement. Especially as it's so easy to over tighten that bit and have to replace it (after having to Dremel that bit off!) Would have been cheaper to replace it as above.

The dip tube not so much. The silicon tube never comes off the bottom if you put on the outside of the barb and not the inside. Bit of heat works for that. The float ball works well and yes does tend to end up at the edge but after crashing I don't think it's enough to warrant cutting up a keg to replace it.

Does take a bit of practice the fermentasurus but think I've just about got the hang of it! Pressure transfers are ace but I don't always ferment under pressure as I tend to dry hop from the top as doing it from the bottom sucks.

Back