School bans sausage rolls

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My son was a fussy eater when he was young and if they had taken away what we put in his lunch box he would have gone without food all day, what gives these people the right to decide what your kids eat they should (as it says below) stick to teaching.

Bradford school bans sausage rolls from packed lunches

A school ban on sausage rolls and other "unhealthy" foods in pupils' lunchboxes has divided opinion.

The new policy at Shirley Manor Primary Academy in Bradford states parents will be called if banned foods are found in packed lunches.

Steve Fryer, whose son's sausage roll was confiscated, said the school should "stick to teaching kids".

Others have praised the school for healthy eating, according to comments on the Bradford Telegraph and Argus.

The policy says pupils are encouraged to show their packed lunches to staff before and after they have eaten.

It states pork pies, sausage rolls and pepperoni sticks should not be included and neither should fruit squash or flavoured water.

It says this is because they are high in salt and saturated fat and the school is keen to promote a balanced diet.

Mr Fryer said his son's sausage roll was removed last Monday and given back to him at the end of the day.

"He was given a ham sandwich instead but he hates ham so there's no way he was going to eat it.

"He ended up eating a dry crisp sandwich. How is that any healthier?"

'Furious'

He added: "It's my job as a parent to decide what my child eats, not the school's.

"The school won't even compromise and allow us to send sausage rolls once or twice a week. I'm furious."

Head teacher Heather Lacey said the vast majority of parents supported the ban and there had been a big increase in the number of children bringing in healthy lunches.

Although schools are legally required to provide meals that comply with the government's School Food Standards, they are able to set their own policies on packed lunches.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-41412911

My son was a fussy eater when he was young and if they had taken away what we put in his lunch box he would have gone without food all day, what gives these people the right to decide what your kids eat they should (as it says below) stick to teaching.
In my book they have no damn right to do this and constitutes stealing their food never mind making a kid go hungry,its down to the parents and the kid to decide what he has in his lunch box whether its unhealthy or otherwise

I'd have though Steve Fryer would've sent his son in with chips, sausage roll sounds more like a Steve Baker lunch.

(Sorry, serious issue and all that)

Haven't got to that stage with my son yet. I like to think we would give him a nice healthy lunch every day but we haven't any idea if he'll be fussy or just throw it away on his walk to school and buy crisps and chocolate to subsist on. Schools are rightly under pressure to keep kids healthy but making them go hungry isn't healthy either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taking food off the kids is a disgrace! I hope they have someone qualified on site to deal with the effects of lack of food or drink or even if one suffers from an allergy from something they should not have been given.
Dealing with fussy eaters is a problem...my eldest still thinks we're trying to poison him but he is getting better bless him! But I'd sooner let him eat something rather than nothing and definitely rather than forcing stuff on him and causing real issues.
The primary school promoted healthy eating and advised what they would like the kids to bring. They didn't take stuff away though. Every so often at the parents evenings and concerts the head mistress would go on about the healthy eating etc....it was ridiculous because she was like the side of a house!

Taking food off the kids is a disgrace! I hope they have someone qualified on site to deal with the effects of lack of food or drink or even if one suffers from an allergy from something they should not have been given.
Dealing with fussy eaters is a problem...my eldest still thinks we're trying to poison him but he is getting better bless him! But I'd sooner let him eat something rather than nothing and definitely rather than forcing stuff on him and causing real issues.
The primary school promoted healthy eating and advised what they would like the kids to bring. They didn't take stuff away though. Every so often at the parents evenings and concerts the head mistress would go on about the healthy eating etc....it was ridiculous because she was like the side of a house!
Bit like drs,mine has an **** the size of a rhino but still likes to preach about being overweight

Every so often at the parents evenings and concerts the head mistress would go on about the healthy eating etc....it was ridiculous because she was like the side of a house!

Do as I say not as I do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope the staff are getting their lunchboxes checked by the kids, the staff smokers do without until they leave the premises at 3.15 (that's when they go isn't it to avoid the traffic?), and staff stay out of the pub at lunchtimes.
And I hope its not a religion inspired ban....

How about a contrary position?

We are legally required to educate our children. Why should that be? Why shouldn't we just teach them what we like - or not teach them at all - they're our children after all.

Society has decided that education is not only a right, but a legal requirement.

Does anyone believe that learning algebra or the capital cities of the world is more important to their child's development than learning how to eat healthily?

It is clear from looking at the appalling physical state of many children, and maybe looking at their lunch boxes, that many parents do not know enough, or do not care enough about providing a healthy diet for their children.

I think the numbers of obese school children is a sad indictment of the unhealthy eating practices and/or lack of eating related discipline displayed by many families.

If it takes an initiative such as this to try and turn the tide, I welcome it, and commend the head teacher for what is a brave action. The head knows they will get a lot of flak, but did it anyway.

Our 3 kids go to school every day with a home made lunch, normally a sandwich, fruit yougart and some home baking. The worst meal they eat all week is the **** the school serves up the 1 day the get a school meal, because they think of it as a treat. Only cause it's full of salt, sugar and not the kind of slop we would ever dream of serving up.

And before anyone asks, I work for the local authority and a very close colleague is the head of catering and guess what, every day he brings his own lunch to work, go figure!

How about a contrary position?

We are legally required to educate our children. Why should that be? Why shouldn't we just teach them what we like - or not teach them at all - they're our children after all.

Society has decided that education is not only a right, but a legal requirement.

Does anyone believe that learning algebra or the capital cities of the world is more important to their child's development than learning how to eat healthily?

It is clear from looking at the appalling physical state of many children, and maybe looking at their lunch boxes, that many parents do not know enough, or do not care enough about providing a healthy diet for their children.

I think the numbers of obese school children is a sad indictment of the unhealthy eating practices and/or lack of eating related discipline displayed by many families.

If it takes an initiative such as this to try and turn the tide, I welcome it, and commend the head teacher for what is a brave action. The head knows they will get a lot of flak, but did it anyway.
Whilst your sentiments concerning the diet of children are commendable there are other things to take into consideration. The reality appears to be that, in this case, the school has decided to impose their own mandate without first properly engaging with the primary custodians of the children i.e. the parents. No doubt there was a letter sent out, but was that enough? Far better to have first communicated their wishes with the parents face to face, to get them on board, perhaps even to educate the parents, rather than adopting a position of confrontation. Some children may even have felt victimised, is that a correct way to embrace education? I think not. I'll also hazard a guess that the children themselves don't really understand what's going on, perhaps that's where the win-win situation lies i.e. to educate them on the benefits of a balanced healthy diet so that they can influence their own lunch composition (and maybe other meals) so that they don't go hungry when the lunch box police get involved.

Our 3 kids go to school every day with a home made lunch, normally a sandwich, fruit yougart and some home baking. The worst meal they eat all week is the **** the school serves up the 1 day the get a school meal, because they think of it as a treat. Only cause it's full of salt, sugar and not the kind of slop we would ever dream of serving up.

And before anyone asks, I work for the local authority and a very close colleague is the head of catering and guess what, every day he brings his own lunch to work, go figure!

This.

My kids insisted they wanted choice instead of a packed lunch when they started at the academy. So we give them cash and after trying school meals have mostly chosen not to eat in school at lunchtime. They prefer to frequent the multitude of places they can go on the high street.

I have hated this for years (my youngest is now in 5th year) but have had to relent having seen the school offerings. They bring me pictures when I insist they stay in school.

The school is obliged to offer a vegetarian option which is frequently a cheese pizza, which looks worse than the ones Gregges serves. The last kids in the dinner queue at school are forced to eat this as it's all that is left.

While I applaud the idea behind banning foods I feel this has not been fully thought through. There are the fussy kids who will only eat what they like or go hungry, and there are households on a budget that cant always offer the most healthy choices.

By all means encourage parents to make healthy choices, but spend the budget, that schools are always saying is too low, on the books and tools of education and carry out your primary reason for being.

Steved - part of the problem is lack of exercise your kid can eat a sausage roll and if he/she does enough exercise will not gain weight the trouble now is kids don't play out like we did in the day, you didn't see many fat kids back then and we had chips with everything, I wouldn't say our diet was particularly healthy but we did enough exercise so it wasn't a problem.

I send my kid to school with 5 bottles of Greasy Sprocket stout and a pouch of bacca. And some peperamis, just for balance.

Those were the days, used to be able to buy a single park drive and a match at the corner shop 200 yards from the junior school when i were a lad, non of this health dinner (at 12:00) for us it was a pie and a fag, proper dinner time..

Park_drive_special_virginia_s_20_b_england.jpg

Yep Chippy, I remember those days. I don't know when it all went wrong but it did - spectacularly. Can't touch owt now without a list of ingredients a mile long / nutrition info that only a scientist can make sense of / warnings about this that and the other.

Latest posts

Back