Mixing saison WLP 565 and wyeast 3724

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meirion658

Reaction score
Hi there I am about to do an all grain version of the above. I have seen in a few recipes, and other sites, a suggestion of mixing the two different yeasts together. Has anyone done anything like this in the past ?

I've not heard about mixing the two yeasts although they are both the same strain used in the Dupont saison so there may be limited benefit to that.

One thing that has been clearly demonstrated is that this strain is very sensitive to back pressure in the fermentor and if you use an airlock there is a high chance that it will stick at around 1.030 for 2-3 weeks before eventually getting going again if you raise the fermentation temperature to around 30°C.

This sticking can apparently be avoided if you don't fill your airlock with water/sanitiser and just loosely crimp some sanitised tinfoil over the top of it. This stops pressure building up in the fermentor and keeps the yeast happy.

If you fancy hearing more about this, they covered it in the experimental brewing podcast https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-18-saison-under-pressure.

I did a 10 gallon batch of Mild a few weeks ago,i used a smack pack i had of Ringwood,for one 5 gallon and did the other 5 gallon with dry notty yeast,both very different when fermented out,the Ringwood was sweeter,the notts yeast dryer,then i mixed both 5 gallon batches together and bottled/kegged came out very nice.But never mixed 2 yeasts together in the same batch.

I've not heard about mixing the two yeasts although they are both the same strain used in the Dupont saison so there may be limited benefit to that.

One thing that has been clearly demonstrated is that this strain is very sensitive to back pressure in the fermentor and if you use an airlock there is a high chance that it will stick at around 1.030 for 2-3 weeks before eventually getting going again if you raise the fermentation temperature to around 30°C.

This sticking can apparently be avoided if you don't fill your airlock with water/sanitiser and just loosely crimp some sanitised tinfoil over the top of it. This stops pressure building up in the fermentor and keeps the yeast happy.

If you fancy hearing more about this, they covered it in the experimental brewing podcast https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-18-saison-under-pressure.

This is one of the pages that i read about mixing the yeast

https://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/guide-saisons-and-saison-yeasts

Done the recipie and has been fermenting away for well over a week now. O.G was 1064. So good efficiency from the grainfather.

I used both strains wlp and wyeast in the fermenter and started off at a temp of 22 it went off like a bullet.

Over the past week I have been increasing the temp to 28 then 30 with a continued strong fermentation.

Yesterday I noticed a slight lull in the fermentation and thought it could be the dreaded stall at or around 1030.

I took a sample from the brewmaster this morning and to my surprise its down to 1012. Will give it another few days but looks like it done.

Looks like using both strains and the high temp has worked. Will try and wash some if the yeast as it gets expensive using the two strains.

Did you also go with the empty airlock? From what I've read those yeasts will go well into the single digits so you may have a while to go yet. I've got a saison planned with WY 3726 farmhouse ale after reading the review of it in Drew's saison guide.

Did you also go with the empty airlock? From what I've read those yeasts will go well into the single digits so you may have a while to go yet. I've got a saison planned with WY 3726 farmhouse ale after reading the review of it in Drew's saison guide.

No I used the ss brewmaster bucket and a blow off tube. I did think about the empty airlock but was worried of infection as I had another brew fermenting away as well

Checked again today and the readings have not changed. I know this has a tendency to stall out at 1030 but it now at 1010 for a week now. Fermentation finished??

Sounds like it, kinda depends what your malt bill was and temperature of mash to get an exact idea but 1.010 for a week sounds done to me.

Took a sample from the brewmaster racking arm last night. Still at 1.010 so time to cold crash. Went to check up this morning and found it had been leaking overnight from the racking arm and I've lost around around 1ltr of beer gutted. So I had to transfer to plastic bucket first thing this morning. Just hope the additional racking into the bucket won't spoil things.Tasted good mind.

I'm thinking of washing the yeast as well as I put the two styles in. Any advice on that?

How did the dual yeast saison turn out? I’m planning my first saison and am using the ‘fear the walking dead’ recipe which I reckon suggests this combo.

Ta

Latest posts

Back