Broke Imersion heater

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delta3

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm brand new to the forum, I've done a few searches and cant find this topic. Sorry if it's a repeat question or in the wrong forum.

I set up my first brew in 3 years (at least) yesterday, I checked on it today and based on the temperature of the brew my immersion heater is dead. On a side note i think this is my 7th kit brew.

I'm hoping to buy a new one but I was wondering do you reckon the brew will be ok until tomorrow night (approx 48hours after I put it on) while I buy a new heater?

Temp is around 15 Celsius, and I think it's all sealed up ok even though there's no bubbles in the air lock.

If it helps I'm brewing milestone dark gallion.

Cheers
Dan

hi n welcome, sounds like your using a fishtank heater directly in the beer? many would suggest using this type of heater indirectly via a waterbath to minimise risks of both infections and scorching yeast or the beer,

generally this time of year with a good start you shouldnt need any heating the brew itself should be generating heat once its underway, and chilling may still be a priority depending on the yeast used. Actually it is getting a bit chilli now.. how for north are ya?:)

a good start would be a warm 20c+ ish well aerated bucket of wort to which you add some yeast thats been hydrated in warmer water 24c ish (pre boiled and cooled down) half an hour in advance, (this minimises the 'shock' of pitching and maximises the survival rate of the yeast when pitched)

Dont be tempted to ferment at the top end of the suggested temperature range for the yeast supplied with the kit, while 'faster' warmer fermentation can produce more 'complex' flavours, and you may not want all of them if any.. better to ferment at the cooler end for a cleaner fermentation imho as a general rule, depends what you want from the brew really..

I would suggest preparing an old sleeping bag to wrap round the bucket to contain the heat you can expect a thriving yeast population to generate, and if the beer isnt underway by tomorrow (bubbles rely on good seals so are not 100% reliable..) so also take a sideways peek inside at the frothy bubbly surface of the brew ;) you could consider sitting the brew in a trub/ large container of warm water (24c max), to give it a kick start ;)

happy brewing and eventual quaffing

I got a home brew immersion heater. In my naivety I bought it and used it without even thinking to Google immersion heaters.

Ill have a look tonight, I've wrapped it up with a door mat, 2 t-shirts and a jumper so my brewing vessel looks more like ET than what it actually is. Which stopped me from even thinking to loom for froth, if just assumed the valve would be the indicator *face palm*.

I'm in Liverpool, UK. So still pretty mild climate at the min even though it's in a basement. Quite impressed that it's as warm as 15

15c may be a tad low but it all depends on the yeast, the kit instructions will provide a temperature range for fermentation, thats your only guide.. if 15c is within the range .. all well n good , if it is below the range, then it may well benefit from some heat input if inactive.

The only real measure of progress however is a hydrometer and gravity readings. taking a pre pitch Starting or Original gravity reading as the benchmark against which to judge all future readings. a beer can look quiet and still for all intents and purposes with the yeast munching away quite happily (tho there is usually some evidence..), but a dropping gravity is the only measure you can rely on with any confidence as real indication of progress..

I'll grab another hydrometer reading tonight. Fingers crossed it will be nice and frothy.

Thanks for the help. I can see a good number of posts coming up in my future 😂

Latest posts

Back