Plastic pressure keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H12rpo

Reaction score
I have two of these .....one which appears to have a ‘overpressure valve’ and one that doesn’t.
Am I safe to assume that the valveless on will be alright to whack my beer kit in the valveless one after the ferment and primed ?

Last edited:
I have two of these .....one which appears to have a ‘overpressure valve’ and one that doesn’t.
Am I safe to assume that the valveless on will be alright to whack my beer kit in the valveless one after the ferment and primed ?
I suggest you post a picture of your 'valveless' cap so that members can advise, although as far as I am aware only the completely plain caps aren't fitted with a relief device.
The bottom line for me is that if you have no form of pressure relief on your PB cap it is foolish to put fermenting beer into the PB, in view of the potential consequences of it catastrophically failing due to overpressure.

Sorry I meant that the keg itself has no pressure release valve, not the cap. The caps appear to be the same.
Here’s a pic of the keg with the valve......the other keg doesn’t have this.

image.jpg

I would guess that the device on the top of the PB shell is some sort of pressure relief.
I am not sure about the cap. If the plastic upstand in the centre of the cap has a rubber 'shroud' or tube over it, that too is likely to be pressure relief device. My PB caps are fitted with these like this.
2_inch_barrel_cap_vent_rev1.png

So if your PBs have pressure relief devices that work then its safe to put beer in them. If not, don't

Latest posts

Back