Mangrove's jack grapefruit pink ipa limited edition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started this kit on 31st March with O.G. of 1.048.. I expected it to be a bit higher to be honest. Very slow to start fermenting with little airlock activity at all. Tested S.G. yesterday at 1.016 so it's coming down slowly. Instructions say I can dry hop at 1.015 but I think I'll wait for it to drop before that. Can't wait, I'm a big fan of Grapefruit IPA's

P.S. I got mine from belgium and took a €10 hit for shipping to the UK but I thought, you only live once ;)

I started this kit on 31st March with O.G. of 1.048.. I expected it to be a bit higher to be honest. Very slow to start fermenting with little airlock activity at all. Tested S.G. yesterday at 1.016 so it's coming down slowly. Instructions say I can dry hop at 1.015 but I think I'll wait for it to drop before that. Can't wait, I'm a big fan of Grapefruit IPA's

Hey Jtc, mine took for ever to drop to 1009 (final gravity) , the airlock wouldn't shut up :-) , i brewed 20 liter instead of the 23 liter and added 1250 gr malt extract/sugar. I boiled 25 gr of mosaic for 60 minutes (+ 45 Ibu) , total of 80 Ibu! I dry hopped after 1 month (it took that long for the airlock to shut up and my gravity @ 1009) with 75 gr Amarillo, 75 gr Centennial, 25 gr Citra and 25 gr mandarina bavaria. People might think what a nutcase uses so much hop's in a 20 liter brew, well, i haved brewed allready some kit's with only 100 gr of hop and it's just not that fruity at all! So i doubled it this time and when i bottled it it smells amazing so do use more hops to dry hop then you where used to add! So much better in taste! I promise! Cheers! Keep you updated! :drunk:

Ok, well 3 days later and my S.G. has dropped pretty quickly to 1.010 which kinda took me by surprise a bit. Dry hopped and we'll see how it's sitting in 3 or 4 days time.

Tasted straight from the test jar and i'm really impressed. I'd say hands down the best tasting beer i've done at this stage in the process. I'm really excited for this one now. Keep you all posted.

Ok, well 3 days later and my S.G. has dropped pretty quickly to 1.010 which kinda took me by surprise a bit. Dry hopped and we'll see how it's sitting in 3 or 4 days time.

Tasted straight from the test jar and i'm really impressed. I'd say hands down the best tasting beer i've done at this stage in the process. I'm really excited for this one now. Keep you all posted.

Indeed jtc, i do think this is an exlusive good ipa! I think that's why they make it 'limited' , do use loads of dry hop and you will get an ipa like brewdog's elvis juice! Centennial, cascade, amarillo for example are all great hop additions (dry hop) for that great grapefruit note's! Keep us updated like i will! Cheers! :thumb:

I did the mangrove jack's recipe nr1 .. i added 450 gr of hop!!!! No joke! , i tasted it and every time i did i found the taste to be not hoppy at all (that's why this kit is so cheap). I did transfer it allready 2 times to other brewbucket and air rated it ones again when adding 500 gr beer enhancer and 25 gr amarillo (boil) , did add some yeast also again to eat most of them sugars otherwise my bottles will explode! I am going to bottle it on thursday (in 3 days) .. transferd it allready after yeast was active fermenting again and eat most of the sugars.. INCOMMING HOPBOMB!!!! :-D

Hey Jtc, mine took for ever to drop to 1009 (final gravity) , the airlock wouldn't shut up :-) , i brewed 20 liter instead of the 23 liter and added 1250 gr malt extract/sugar. I boiled 25 gr of mosaic for 60 minutes (+ 45 Ibu) , total of 80 Ibu! I dry hopped after 1 month (it took that long for the airlock to shut up and my gravity @ 1009) with 75 gr Amarillo, 75 gr Centennial, 25 gr Citra and 25 gr mandarina bavaria. People might think what a nutcase uses so much hop's in a 20 liter brew, well, i haved brewed allready some kit's with only 100 gr of hop and it's just not that fruity at all! So i doubled it this time and when i bottled it it smells amazing so do use more hops to dry hop then you where used to add! So much better in taste! I promise! Cheers! Keep you updated! :drunk:

I've used 300g of pellet hops in brews because I like hop bombs. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you like, but it does mean my beers work out about £1 a bottle. 100g never does it for me when I want a hop forward beer! :grin:

I've used 300g of pellet hops in brews because I like hop bombs. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you like, but it does mean my beers work out about �£1 a bottle. 100g never does it for me when I want a hop forward beer! :grin:

Indeed, when i add 100 gr it doesn't taste that fruity at all! Because i like my brews to be bitter also i just end up with a hint of fruity but very bitter Ipa :-) , glad to hear someone also uses a load of hops, i thought i was the only one here :-D lol

Ok, sitting bank on 1.004 today, if it's still the same on wednesday it's getting bottled.

Great news, it fermented realy fast if you compair to mine :-) .. mine is in bottles now for 10 days, did smell very nice (with the 200gr dry hop)

Mine is very bitter'ish, totally not ready yet after 1 month in the bottles.. i think this will take at least 2 months to settle .. but also keep y'all update'd on this one! Great to hear your's allready nice. I alway's make my brews to bitter so it takes longer to settle i guess ... Cheers guy's ! :drunk:

Looking at the posts of people adding this and that.....is this not a kit with everything included?
Cheers
Gaz

Back