Is my Wherry stuck?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lium

Reaction score
I've had my Woodforde Wherry in the in the FV for 9 days. O.G was 1040 and now it seems to have stopped at about 1016 (not very easy to read those things accurately is it?) By my calculations this will make quite a weak beer, and I would prefer more alcohol in my beer and not as much sugar! It should go to about 1010.

Is my brew 'stuck'? Will adding more yeast or sugar help?

I have done 3 wherrys and all stuck about 1.018. I would add some more yeast to restart fermentation,it worked well for me.

donny_1972 said:
I have done 3 wherrys and all stuck about 1.018. I would add some more yeast to restart fermentation,it worked well for me.

Is there any yeast you would recommend? I only have bread yeast at home - I presume that's not suitable!

lium said:
Is there any yeast you would recommend? I only have bread yeast at home - I presume that's not suitable!

When I did a Wherry, I used S-04 yeast to start with. This would be okay to restart it too...

simonranson said:
lium said:

When I did a Wherry, I used S-04 yeast to start with. This would be okay to restart it too...

How long should I re-ferment for? Going away on Friday for a week... was hoping to have bottled it by then...

Either safale or nottingham yeast. I don't think it will be ready for Friday so why not give it a stir and see if I
t comes down a bit.

donny_1972 said:
Either safale or nottingham yeast. I don't think it will be ready for Friday so why not give it a stir and see if It comes down a bit.

I think I will just give it a stir and bottle it on Thursday - if I add yeast I wouldn't be able to bottle it until a week on Friday, by which time it will have been in the FV for almost 3 weeks.

lium said:
I think I will just give it a stir and bottle it on Thursday - if I add yeast I wouldn't be able to bottle it until a week on Friday, by which time it will have been in the FV for almost 3 weeks.
being in the FV for 3 weeks will be fine. Mine stuck at 1020, I rehydrated some coopers kit yeast I had left over and restarted with that. It's not only notorious for sticking it's also a bugger to clear

Duncs said:
lium said:
being in the FV for 3 weeks will be fine. Mine stuck at 1020, I rehydrated some coopers kit yeast I had left over and restarted with that. It's not only notorious for sticking it's also a bugger to clear

I'll stir it tonight, see if it's come down by Thursday and if not, will add some yeast to it and leave it another week.

?I'm no expert, but i wouldn't bother adding more yeast.

I think the yeast would have fermented all that is fermentable. If you want a lower gravity, buy some 'dry beer enzyme', which only costs about 50p. It will later the flavour of your beer, will make ti dryer and stronger.

Also, look in the How To section of this forum, there is an excellent guide to Stuck Fermentation by BigYin.

Back