Better Brew Czech Pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right, hope you all had a good Christmas!
What with being busy I have only just racked this out into a clean vat today, I only got just over 20 litres due to very loose yeast at the bottom and clumsiness on my part :oops:
Had a sneaky taste and there is a very bitter aftertaste, almost hop like but a little more bitter, not what I was expecting at all for a lager, the colour is still somewhat darker than expected as well.
I will batch prime in a week or so then bottle.

You have just described mine to a tee. I am a bit further on and after 4 weeks after bottling the bitter after taste is nearly gone, but its still got that home brew taste. Will leave it for another 4 weeks and have another go.

Ok let us know how it goes please, still haven't bottled mine (because I've run out :shock: !) but I have one more kit to do and if I don't get any good results I will either give up or give ag or biab a go!

Lager or at least good lager is one of the more difficult things to get right.

Fermentation temp
Lager yeast
Lagering temp

All make a big difference.

You may well have most of what you need to brew by BIAB have a look here - http://www.biabrewer.info/index.php
Look for mini + maxi BIAB.

ATB. Aamcle

I started a brew yesterday 9/2/14, after reading the reviews I wanted to get this right, so took extra time over everything, it is now frothing and bubbling like mad at 22c with a belt on. The only thing now is the wait to taste, after reading some of the reviews on here I can`t wait. :drink:

Made as per instructions using 1 kg. brewing sugar.

Just opened my second bottle.

Impressions:

Colour: very light gold.

Nose: very subtle clean hops..flowery but sharp.

Taste: light body but substance....very clean taste in the mouth.

Head: thin lager head...good bubble streams.

Well impressed with this kit as I was with their Yorkshire bitter.

Yep, just put this one on yesterday afternoon to 21.5L with a kilo of brewing sugar. Og 1.046
Hydrated the yeast first in warm, previously boiled water, and left for half an hour.
Pitched the yeast and put the heater belt on even though room temp is a constant 18 deg.
It was off within three hours of pitching the yeast and this morning I have a bulging FV lid and a steady airlock activity.
So, mindful of what I have read about slower fermentation for lager, I have removed the heater belt to let it continue at room temp.
I don't have a thermometer, but I understand your brew temp will usually be a couple of deg above the ambient air temp, due to the yeast action.

Looking forward to this one on the reviews, first go at lager and I've ordered up 48 coopers pet bottles to accomadate. I usually keg but I fancy bottling this one, so I can pop a bottle or two in the fridge for those balmy Scottish summer evenings....

Hi Redron

I fermented mine at ordinary room temperature...20 to 22...from the blurb on the packaging and quite a few contributions to this thread the kit makers have formulated a yeast to give a lager taste at normal room temperature...

I think they have done this..this is a good lager taste..

However I agree with the view that you need to take care when pouring, the yeast does tend to rise quickly...and if you over cool too much a light haze does occur in the beer needs about 1 hr. in an average fridge...leaving longer doesn't affect the taste and the pint tastes the same...just a little hazey..

This is a good kit.

Enjoy when it's ready.

Just bought this myself along with some Australian Galaxy for a dry hop. Has anyone else dry hopped this? I usually use 50g for dry hopping my Wherry with Citra (I go on about this a lot...). Would be good to hear what anyone else has done?

Cheers - Dave

Looking in one of my brewing books I would suggest Saaz hops.

I have no idea if you should dry hop lagers though.

Put one of these on last night with 500g light DME & 500g brewing sugar.
OG was 1.044.
Couldn't wait for temperature to drop so pitched at 27.5C
This morning it was 24C but would be happier if it was closer to 20C. No airlock activity but suspect FV lid may have a slight leak.
Hoping this will be OK to drink during a nice hot August.

Update: got this down to 23C with a fan.
Tightened FV screw lid and airlock started popping like crazy.
Turned off fan overnight and first thing this morning it was at 22.5C, but today is a scorcher so I expect it to go a few degrees higher. I'm hoping that this temperature is not going to create any weird flavours.
This has increased my determination to build a brew fridge!

Tasted this after 2 weeks conditioning. I know it's very early but just wanted to test the progress....
Still a bit cloudy and the yeast didn't want to stick to the bottom of the bottle, but I know this will happen in time. Very nice flavour, good carbonation and considering it was brewed at about 22 degC it tastes like a real lager. Has a dry Pilsner edge.
All in all, I'm chuffed how good this is already!
If the weather is OK in September I will enjoy a few of these in my garden.:drink:

That Coopers yeast is very versatile!

What will you do if the weather is **** in September? :???:

Did one of these on 14/04. Put on with 1kg dextrose and an OG of 1.044. Finished on 24/04 at FG of 1.008.

Bottled and left until 04/05 when I put an obligatory one in the fridge.

Very nice. Not alot of head but nicely carbed and a refreshing brew.

Will defo do again.

Anyone else done one of these lately?
I usually use light spraymalt but in this case im wondering if a more,crisp finish would be achieved with dextrose.
Its also described as hoppy although ive yet to find a kit that is,without a dry hop anyway.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back