Better Brew Irish Stout - Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Low Farm

Reaction score
i did this as my first beer and it has been a night mare to do i followed the instructions and still not down to 1008 it s 2 weeks today reading 1012 yesterday and today ???
Irishstout001-1.jpg

Low Farm said:
i did this as my first beer and it has been a night mare to do i followed the instructions and still not down to 1008 it s 2 weeks today reading 1012 yesterday and today ???

The quoted sg is just a base... It could well be that your hydrometer is not properly calibrated, r that fermentation has finished, and there isn't any further fermentable sugars left to ferment out...

Hi all, i have this kit ready to start. I intend to use 500g of brewing sugar, 500g of dark spraymalt & 454g of dark treacle. Will post results at a later date. Any thoughts ?

Brewing bb cech pilsner
Conditioning St Peters ipa, smugglers & midas touch golden ale,firey ginger beer 12L.
Drinking smugglers [before i should but i have nothing else ready]
Planning bb irish stout

lovelldr said:
Low Farm said:

The quoted sg is just a base... It could well be that your hydrometer is not properly calibrated, r that fermentation has finished, and there isn't any further fermentable sugars left to ferment out...

was going to give it till tomorrow and then if the same bottle it

Put the brew on tonight, put in 500g dark spraymalt, 500g of golden castor sugar,150g of dark sugar & 454g tin of black treacle. Made it up to 20L - the sg was 1060 ! so added more water to get it down to 1050. Still going to be around 5% according to the calculator.10 days min fermenting & see what it gets down to. .... to be continued.

eddie66 said:
Put the brew on tonight, put in 500g dark spraymalt, 500g of golden castor sugar,150g of dark sugar & 454g tin of black treacle. Made it up to 20L - the sg was 1060 ! so added more water to get it down to 1050. Still going to be around 5% according to the calculator.10 days min fermenting & see what it gets down to. .... to be continued.

make sure you keep it at 20 to 25 in the fermenting cupboard I have had some real trouble with mine just kegged it yesterday took 16 days though I'm not holding out much hope for it

Back again, just kegged/bottled the brew.Sg 1050 fg 1008 so quite strong stuff.Will let you all know if it is any good in about a month.
The cech pilsner is still fermenting after 14 days as i have kept it cool. :thumb:

Made this up today using dark DME, dextrose and some dark brown sugar.
Has anyone dry-hopped it, or is it best to leave as is rather than risk ruining it?

Im loving this brew on my fourth Fermentation now well worth a go i did do the second brew with white sugar and there is a noticeable difference in taste between the brewing sugar and the white sugar

eddie66 said:
any news :cheers:

Yes, still a bit young at the moment.Bottled 12 in litre bottles and kegged the rest. Tried some of the barrel and it is nice but strong, you can taste the alcahol. It finished up at 6%. Friday before last had 3 pints of midas touch golden ale [ which is superb by the way ] then had a pint of stout, woke up with a banging head the next day. Definately a 1 pint brew.

Hi all started mine on 2/9/13 at sg1.56 20c seems to be stuck at 1.18 for last 3 days is it finished or should it be left for a few more days, was thinking of upping the temp a little brewed with 500g dextrost 500g med spray malt 454g dark treacle thanks for any replies.

stan the newbie

Chris_1984 said:
Has anyone dry-hopped it, or is it best to leave as is rather than risk ruining it?

I've got some fuggles in mine, Ill let you know :D

Brewed on 07/05 with a can of Briess Porter DME and 1/2 a tin ie 227g treacle.Used the standard kit yeast.Bottled 44 bottles on 25/05 at 4.7% ABV.
My most expensive brew in terms of ingredient spend.:shock: But turned out beautifully.
After a month in the bottle knocks the socks off any commercial bottled stout.That's a quote from a pal of mine who was really impressed.Has a nice hint of treacle, I think the whole tin would be too much.
Highly Recommended with these tweaks.:thumb:

Latest posts

Back