Wilko Sweet Newkie Brown with Goldings hops + vid

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

equiliser

Reaction score
Video of me brewing a Wilko Sweet Newkie Brown. using Willamette Finishing Hop Pellets.

video link http://youtu.be/cM8YhlwtF8g

1 tin of Wilko Sweet Newkie Brown.
12g Willamette Hops
500g medium Spray Malt
700g of Brewing Sugar
Starting Gravity Reading 1040
Temp 25c
Left in the fermentation vessel for ten days to be bottled on 27/02/13
Taste Test Due - End of March.

Just finished my last bottle of this, I brewed short to 20l and used a beer kit enhancer. It was nice, defiantly drinkable. However, I wouldn't go to the effort of bottling it next time, it wasn't quite worth it!

I thought i would give this a go as they are only £10 and with a little tinkering may turn out a bit nicer than just sugar.

Would love to know if anyone has had much success with the wilko brews and whether they had used them as a base to make something a little more robust?

equiliser said:
Would love to know if anyone has had much success with the wilko brews and whether they had used them as a base to make something a little more robust?

I have done the Velvet Stout, brewed short to 20l with 1Kg BKE, with a Brupaks Flavapak. This tunred out really good and would reccomend doing this one again.

I have just bottled the Hoppy Copper Bitter, again with 1Kg BKE with 15g Fuggles and 15g Goldings Dry Hop. It's early days - only a week in the bottle - but this tastes fine. Hoping the hops come through a bit more after it has settled down and conditioned some more.

Got a Mexican Cerveza in the FV now - usual short brew to 20l with 1Kg BKE. But this time I bolied up some of the extract with 10g Cascade for 15 mins, then steeped another 20g of the Cascade in this. Chucked this all into the FV (including hops) - this should hopefully give this kit a bit of a boost.

Next up got a Sweet Newkie Brown - just decideing what to do with it now

For £10 the Wilko's kits do brew acceptable beer - just think they lank any real hop character - hence the additions!

What abv do you get tricky brewing down to 20l??
I found even adding 500g dme and 700g sugar and brewing down at 22l a bit on the week side..i was expecting above 5% but only got 4.5%

Mine have all come in at about 4.8% - which works nicely I think. the BKE adds some more body whilst not overdoing it.

I have also done a few of the 2 can festival kits, and they are really a step up - especially the London Porter, easily as good as anything I have ever had in a pub, coming in at about 5.8%

I'm toying with the idea of sticking 2 two cans of this in one 23 litre batch with something like a tin of Golden syrup and a saaz hop tea/ dry hop with the idea of creating something along the lines of strong belgian brown ale such as inspired Newcastle Brown originally.

Latest posts

Back