Shed to warm.....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coopsy

Reaction score
Just had to move 3 pressure barrels out of my shed temp was 25 C, coolest i can find is the living room at around 15/17 C.

Is this temp still to warm for conditioning the brews ?.

Two barrels contain bitter, and one a stout.

"I would give up beer, but i'm no quitter" :cheers:

I have noticed the same temperature soared yesterday until thunder storm and hail stones. My beer typically takes 20 days but in this weather more like 10 days. Last year I tried some beer made in the heat and it had some odd taste but left until weather had cooled again and it did improve. For bitter as never made a stout I found at 22 degrees all was OK but 27 degrees was producing off taste at exactly what point unclear. I aim for 20 degrees at 18 degrees still works OK by time it's dropped to 16 degrees time jumps to months rather than weeks but still works. So no real problem with 15/17 C.

The other point is with a bottle it cools and heats quickly but with 25 litres it takes a lot longer to change temperature I love stick on temperature strips as it shows more the temperature of beer than temperature of the room. My kitchen will drop to 16 at night and lift to 22 in day beer seems to stay at constant 19 degrees night and day.

Many thanks Eric, although i think we have our wires crossed, lol, i was talking storage temp !, i think your talking fermenting temp.........

Hi Coopsy, I only bottle beer but i condition it in my shed. For a long time i worried about keeping constant temps but eventually got fed up with it.Now i bottle my beer and forget about it for.3 weeks and honestly i cant notice any difference.The temp will dip and rise quite a bit but it doesnt seem to affect my beer ?

If i'm honest PM, thats the way i been thinking, i usually leave my barrels in the shed no matter what the temp, think i got a little spooked with the "importance" factor i been hearing here and there.......
I think the wet towel trick might come to hand anytime now..

:cheers:

I keep mine as low in the shed as I can (currently on the floor). Or I keep it on the tiled floor in the kitchen.

very difficult at this time of year. If you want to cool them down, you could put a band round the barrel (I used my wifes nintendo wii zumba* band) and tuck bottles of ice into it, rotating them twice a day. Pain in the **** ofcourse.

I often brew with a friend. I have a fermentation freezer at home, and he what will be a kegorator at his, which has been used to keep bottles chilled for quite a while... I think I got the rough end of the deal there :(

*never uses it

Any thing which evaporates will cool as to if a towel around a barrel soaked in water possibly a tray of water it can soak up or cover the shed roof with turf and water all will help cool the shed even plant shrubs and trees around the shed so it does not get direct sun light. Using power to cool to me would be last resort.

Back