Bulldog Brews Bad Cat Imperial Red

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today is day seven of the brew - and it is still bubbling strongly. Aroma has definitely improved - citrus/beery notes definitely coming through, the yeasty smell has subsided, and there's quite a strong alcohol aroma to it too. I'll wait until it the action has stopped completely and the gravity has stabilised, then add the hops for a couple of days and crash cool. So realistically it's got a least a week to go before I transfer to the bottling bucket, I reckon.

Glad to hear it. Better still today? I look forward to starting this kit again without the issues.

Glad to hear it. Better still today? I look forward to starting this kit again without the issues.

Unfortunately, the mother-in-law described the smell as like nail polish remover. But I think it's coming out good: beery and fruity, with no bad feet smells. The nail polish comments reflects the strong alcohol notes: it does smell quite boozy (which my other brews haven't). And there remains a very foamy layer - which has tended to subside away in other brews I've done by now. But I think we're looking okay ...

On quick question on this: Bulldog market this as a very strong 7.5% ale. But if its starting gravity is 1061 (as advertised - and indeed mine was) then it has to get down a long way to make for 7.5%, doesn't it? They advise in the instructions bottling from 1014 for their stronger ales - but I reckon that brings it to around 6.5%. Where does the extra 1% come from?

On quick question on this: Bulldog market this as a very strong 7.5% ale. But if its starting gravity is 1061 (as advertised - and indeed mine was) then it has to get down a long way to make for 7.5%, doesn't it? They advise in the instructions bottling from 1014 for their stronger ales - but I reckon that brings it to around 6.5%. Where does the extra 1% come from?

It'll end at 1006. Mine did. So that's 7.2% + the 0.2% priming sugar it easily makes the claimed ABV.

That's reassuring. (Though they say on their website that the expect FG is 1011: http://www.hambletonbard.com/produc...omebrew/bulldog-brews-beer-kits-compared.html). To be honest though, given your experiences, I'd be happy to settle for something that was simply nice to drink ...

I find that all HB manufacturers state that sort of figure. Same as the "5 days to ferment" line - all best taken with a pinch of salt. The only beers that I've found to genuinely be finished at >1010 are Wherry and Coopers Stout.

But like you say, just be thankful if it's drinkable :drunk:

Get well soon for your poorly beer. Or refunded. One of the two lol

Hahaha. My poorly beer is swimming in the sewers. They said they will provide a replacement kit - once the cause of the initial kit's failing is discovered :-)

It'll end at 1006. Mine did. So that's 7.2% + the 0.2% priming sugar it easily makes the claimed ABV.

Spot on - that's exactly where is has ended. The yeast monster has finally receded too. So I've added the two hop sachets (which smell pretty farty, tbh) and will transfer to a bottling bucket in 48 hours. Looks very cloudy indeed at this point - might also leave outside for a "cold crash" bottling if it stays the same.

Spot on - that's exactly where is has ended. The yeast monster has finally receded too. So I've added the two hop sachets (which smell pretty farty, tbh) and will transfer to a bottling bucket in 48 hours. Looks very cloudy indeed at this point - might also leave outside for a "cold crash" bottling if it stays the same.

I'm a bit excited to find out how this one turns out:pray:

I'm a bit excited to find out how this one turns out:pray:

Ok. So it finished fermenting at 1006 - which really is very low for a strong ale I think (and substantially lower than the 1011 they advised).

First, the aroma. No bad smells remain - though the beer retained its alcohol-ly notes almost to the end. The hops seem to have driven those away! (The Armarillo hops very very pleasant; the Willemette less so.)

Took a sample swig. Very good indeed. A very pleasant bitterness that cuts through the high alcohol content (over 7%). And a full body feel to it - it's not thin in the mouth at all.

The only downside is that it remains very cloudy. So I've decided to rack it to a separate bucket, which I'll then try to cool overnight to bring some of the suspended sediment down. I'll then leave for a couple of days before transferring to a bottling bucket.

But the bottom line is I'm very excited that I might have a really nice brew here! Time will tell, as ever!

Ok. So it finished fermenting at 1006 - which really is very low for a strong ale I think (and substantially lower than the 1011 they advised).

First, the aroma. No bad smells remain - though the beer retained its alcohol-ly notes almost to the end. The hops seem to have driven those away! (The Armarillo hops very very pleasant; the Willemette less so.)

Took a sample swig. Very good indeed. A very pleasant bitterness that cuts through the high alcohol content (over 7%). And a full body feel to it - it's not thin in the mouth at all.

The only downside is that it remains very cloudy. So I've decided to rack it to a separate bucket, which I'll then try to cool overnight to bring some of the suspended sediment down. I'll then leave for a couple of days before transferring to a bottling bucket.

But the bottom line is I'm very excited that I might have a really nice brew here! Time will tell, as ever!

Excellent. I'm really pleased for you! So how long has it been since you pitched the yeast?

Took 11 days to get down to 1006. First two days were quiescent, and then it bubbled steadily for the next 7/8.

ordered this naughty pussy today. :cool:

will be my 4th kit now after evil dog, hammer of thor and cortez gold. so looking forward to getting thios one on!!!!

We have done some tests on the sample you sent and although the main parameters are within spec. (bitterness, pH, colour) there is an unusual taste to the beer which we can't explain. Although one of our staff liked it so much he would drink it as it is!

Therefore we have sent the sample to a laboratory for a full analysis to see if there is an infection in the beer.

And there we have it. They have sent me a replacement kit, so I am happy with that.

After a challenging day at work, I thought I'd crack open a (small) bottle. It's carbonated well, and - though a little sweet - has great body and flavour. I can only see it getting better over the next few weeks - this ranks as high as my Young's American IPA kit.

Back