Any whisky connoisseurs?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not keen on Talisker myself but a Kameson, Jura or Glen Ord, now your talking :)

Never mind the typo with the Jameson!

One of my favorites has to be Oban, you rarely see it on the shelves, but I think it is a stunning malt.

I have bought Talisker, Laphroaig etc and gave them away as they tasted so bad to my pallet!

Each to their own as they say, but I absolutely love Oban, Jamisen etc :)

Had a tasted of this in a shop in Ringwood, broke my face and my wallet

Incredble for a young whiskey, may even beat my all time face of Laphroaig quarter cask

20170929_164954_HDR-1.jpg

I see Glennfiddich have released an IPA barrel aged malt... anyone tried it yet? I'm not sure if it's worth trying.

I like Tobermory Ledaig,pronounced led-chig. The distillery is near the sea and in bad weather the cellars flood soaking the casks in sea water. The whisky has a really pronounced seaside ozone taste.

If ever you're in crete visit the whisky shack in kokkini hani..absolutely fantastic. Google it or read my post on trip advisor.

I love bourbon and scotch but cannot afford the "connoisseur" level offerings.

I don't drink cheap either. I have my standards.

All the Best,
D. White

Having worked widely across Scotland, we would often finish an evening in the pub with a dram. My tastes lean strongly towards Speyside and Highland whiskies, the first time we sampled an Islay malt, my colleague's comment was "Tastes like Toilet Duck!".

Sadly some of my favourites are no longer available such as Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban and Balvenie Signature, but as an everday whisky I enjoy Glenfarclas 10 year old or Glendronach 12 yo, for something a bit different Clinelish 14 yo, or for that special treat a Balvenie 15 yo single cask.

A lot of brands have started to bottle younger barrels to increase cash flow. These whiskies will often have no age statement. They will be three years old at least to be sold as whisky. I thinks £25 for a single malt is very good. But Lidl have a prize-winning single malt for less. I'm a fan of Islay malts. But Laphroaig is not as good as it was ten years ago. Its believed that the quality of casks is lower. This was predicted by the world-renowned critic, Michael Jackson when he witnessed sour casks being filled.

Back