cold crashing and priming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

private4587

Reaction score
I am just about to cold crash my Imperial Pilsner and after i will be bottle priming. My question is that when i enter my data into a priming calculator what temp do i enter. The reason of the query is that i followed the quick lager method that said to ferment to 50% attenuation at 11C then raise to 19C to finish off fermentation then cold crash. So as i ask which temp to use 11 or 19.

As the beer was still producing CO2 when at 19C, use this (warmest) temperature as a reasonable guesstimate. After the beer has finished fermenting, cooling it will help preserve the CO2 already in solution, but wont increase it (where would the CO2 be coming from?).

This presumes the beer is surrounded by CO2 (under a fermentation trap). If air has access or the temperature rises and pressure can't, the dissolved CO2 will fritter away.

The carbonation calculations estimate the amount of CO2 already dissolved in the beer which is why they use this temperature information. The warmer the beer the less CO2 it will hold. Beer at 14C can hold about 0.9 volumes at atmospheric pressure (if in a 100% CO2 atmosphere).

Beats me why these carbonation calculators never seem to explain this.

There was a big thread on this on the brew science forum at HBT that interested me because I prime and bottle after cold crashing post-fermentation. The conclusion was, as @peebee said, to use the warmest of the temperatures and that approach has produced the expected bottle carbonation for me.

Back