Have I killed my beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JebKerman

Reaction score
I have been storing my beer and cider in my shed to bottle condition, and I’ve just opened a bottle of my Christmas Stout, and although it tastes ok, it’s flat as a pancake. Will my cider suffer a similar fate, and if I bring it in to the house, will it revive? Outdoor temps are getting down to about -3C in Scotland just now if this helps.

Did you keep it in the warm for a week Or two after bottling before going to the shed?

Carbonation of homebrewed beer or cider relies on the residual yeast left in there after the primary has finished to work on the priming sugar. However this won't happen if you prime and then don't keep it in the warm for a week or two. At least 18*C is best.
If you didn't do this then you need to bring your bottles back into the warm, give them a gentle shake to resuspend the yeast and then leave them alone for up to two weeks to carb up. After the two weeks is up you can then try one, and hopefully find its carbed as it should be, and then you can move back out to your shed.

My bottles go in the bedroom under my side of the bed (closest to the radiator) for usually a couple of weeks. If I need or want them out sooner I'll put them provided the bottles are "hard" which indicates fermentation has occurred and co2 has been produced

Back