Iodine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piperbrew

Reaction score
I see I need iodine to test with, what type is required as from what I am seeing it is in different percentage strengths

Unless you're mashing for less than 30 minutes and at the extreme ends of the temperature range, you can rest assured that starch conversion will be complete. But if you insist, go to any chemist and ask for tincture of iodine. I used it for a few years sometime in the early 80s but stopped when I realised I was wasting my time.

Unless you're mashing for less than 30 minutes and at the extreme ends of the temperature range, you can rest assured that starch conversion will be complete. But if you insist, go to any chemist and ask for tincture of iodine. I used it for a few years sometime in the early 80s but stopped when I realised I was wasting my time.

Cheers for letting me know |:thumb:

Handy thing to have at hand if you are worried something isn't right, but as gunge says, not really needed unless you're doing things out of the norm. I'd say buy it and use it for a couple of brews to prove to yourself that your process works, then save it as backup for when you try something extreme.

"Inspiration is the impact of a fact on a well-prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

Back