Brewferm Oranje Bock

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monte Cristo

Impressive Member
Reaction score
Evening chaps,
I bought this kit on a recommendation by the LHBS, the previous Brewferm kits i have done have all turned out well so no reason this one shouldn't.
I brewed this one to the instructions as it is a first for me so I used 500g of dark candi sugar and 12 litres of bottled water, the OG was bang on the instructions at 1054. The only draw back with these kits is they do take a while to mature and don't make a great deal of beer, this one making 12 litres, I will post some pics and keep updating as it goes on.
Cheers chaps :hat:

Evening chaps, well nearly 2 weeks in the fermenter and it has finally got down to fg 1010, so by my reckoning it should be around 5.8%. Had a taster of the trial jar, it tasted pretty good so high hopes, might bottle it tomorrow. :hat:

(edited 3/9/13)
Bottled this today with 72g of demerara sugar batch primed and managed to get 35x 330ml bottles out of 12L brew, more than I expected - roll on the taste test!

Morning All

Just started this off today

As per kit apart from using 650g of Golden Syrup instead of the 500g of granulated sugar - seems to be a popular change in brewing these kits in general

Bang on at o/g of 1054 - so lets wait for it to ferment out - no rush with this one :)

Will keep the forum posted

Think I might try the Brewferm Grand Cru next as it seems to be getting good reviews on here

:cheers:

Evening chaps,
I'm glad this popped up as i had squat this beer away and forgotten about it to mature for the six weeks recommended. So cracked a bottle and poured at the usual rakish angle, it was not too lively i would say the carbonation is about spot on and with a good head as is usual with most of the brewferm kits i have tried.
The taste test, it is an interesting flavour i would describe it as a alcoholic dandelion and burdockish flavour which is quite moorish, there is also a hint of sweetness to it, so overall very pleased with it and would probably do it again!

It will be interesting to see how yours turns out Mark. :hat:

Hi All

Just cracked open a bottle - great carbonation

Dark treacle malt tastes - not too hoppy - liquorice undertones

Head retention could be better in my opinion (but it is still quite young!!)

Overall - I am well impressed................even better is that the good lady likes this too

I started this one last night. I did it as per instructions but used around a can and half of golden syrup. I used cheap ocado water rather than my fine London tap water. The initial gravity came out at 1054 which is bang on target.

I rehydrated the yeast and pitched it when the wort had cooled to about 25 degrees. I wanted to get it colder but ran out of time. It seems to have worked anyway because it was bubbling furiously by this morning.

I'm going to ferment for 2 weeks and rack to secondary for another two as that seems to really improve these beers and get them to condition quicker.

More updates to follow!

Update on previous posts

Cracked open another bottle last night

This is just getting better and better the longer it is left..............not that I have left it a long time yet :-)

Very smooth, very little hop profile (but this is how it should be), lovely dark malt tastes................and best yet ..no home brew taste what so ever

Am a very pleased chap

I managed to get this one down to 1014 after leaving for almost 4 weeks with a bit of time outside. Batch primed and bottled as per instructions with plain granulated sugar.

I've cracked open a small bottle now that a month has passed and it's very nice already. It has just the right rich caramel flavour without being too sweet. As MarkS said it has carbed well but the head disappeared quite quickly. I could quite happily drink a few more of these but best to leave them!

I've had this brew on for about 10 days now and took a gravity reading last night.....only then did I realise I've made it to 16L instead of 12!!!!!!!

No idea how I managed it........I was trying to be very careful but obviously had a brain fart when making it up.

I expect it'll be fine - anyone else done similar, any thoughts on outcome?

Cheers.

Muppet!

I've had this brew on for about 10 days now and took a gravity reading last night.....only then did I realise I've made it to 16L instead of 12!!!!!!!

No idea how I managed it........I was trying to be very careful but obviously had a brain fart when making it up.

I expect it'll be fine - anyone else done similar, any thoughts on outcome?

Cheers.

Muppet!

If you can get hold of another can, you could consider doing a double batch to 24L. If you think that's a bit late in the day or not feasible, it will just be a bit weaker - 4.5% instead of 6%. Still drinkable, though.

Adding more sugar at this stage seems a bit crude - sort of thing I'd do. :lol:

Latest posts

Back