Greg Hughes book discounted

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Sean,
Yes, I'm going to steep the chocolate, roasted barley and Special B.
I plan to steep them together and then add the steeping liquor 15 minutes before the end of the boil, as recommended by some sites.
Colin

Just looking at the grains I've got and the Special B is not suitable for steeping according to the label. I also read that to make up for the inefficiency of cold steeping to increase the specified amount of grains by 10-15% - are you doing this?

Also what yeast are you using. The shop I usually get my ingredients from did not have the Wyeast 1318 so have gone for a White Labs wlp004. I've subsequently found the yeast available from Geterbrewed but i doubt it will arrive in time to make a yeast starter before Tuesday's brew day.

Just looking at the grains I've got and the Special B is not suitable for steeping according to the label. I also read that to make up for the inefficiency of cold steeping to increase the specified amount of grains by 10-15% - are you doing this?

Also what yeast are you using. The shop I usually get my ingredients from did not have the Wyeast 1318 so have gone for a White Labs wlp004. I've subsequently found the yeast available from Geterbrewed but i doubt it will arrive in time to make a yeast starter before Tuesday's brew day.

Hi!
Since posting, I've found this page: http://beersmith.com/blog/2017/01/1...rk-grains-revisited-a-beer-brewing-technique/
It suggests adding dark grains separately, near the end of the mash, thus avoiding all the trouble of steeping bags etc. There's no mention of increasing grain proportions. More to worry about! :-?
As far as yeast goes, I was planning on using Nottingham. I've got some harvested slurry from a previous brew and I plan to make a starter from that.

Back