Strong Ginger Wine.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Global33

Reaction score
I'm having a go at a ginger wine, 300g of ginger for 5l of water, but I've also used the powdered stuff. Peeled my ginger which was the most time consuming part. Chucked a jar of honey in, 5 small lemons, a dash of cream of tartar and 800g of sugar. I'm using Youngs Super Wine Yeast. Ive added a teaspoon of cinnamon just because and tiny pinch of chillinflakes.

IMG_20170326_172139084.jpg

I made this last summer used 2kg of ginger for wine then made ginger beer with the left overs from the wine production.I used 300g sultanas and dark brown sugar , i also used a bottle of cheap brandy per gallon mixed in at bottling stops refermentation and makes a perfect ginger fortified wine fantastic with Whisky (Whisky Mac) on a cold winter night .

I followed this recipe -

-1Kg Ginger

-2Kg Sugar

-200g Raisins

-1 Lemon

-1 Lime

-Yeast

-Yeast nutrient

-4 Liters of water (aprox)

I chopped off the moldy bits of the ginger. Grated it up. Washed the raisins. Boiled up all the ingredients including the lemon and lime juice for 15 minutes. Added 1kg of sugar. Waited for it too cool. (At this stage the OG was 1.100) I then pitched the yeast and yeast nutrient. Going to let it ferment out for a couple of days. Then add half of the remaining sugar (500g). Allow to ferment for a couple more days. Then add the last 500g of sugar! Fit airlock and leave to mature for another couple years or so! See what it turns out like! ;)

I have staggered the amount of sugar im feeding the yeast, because I don't want them to die. Im looking for it to ferment out anywhere between 16% and 20%. I know that's hopeful especially because im using 'young's super wine yeast'. :lol:

I made this last summer used 2kg of ginger for wine then made ginger beer with the left overs from the wine production.I used 300g sultanas and dark brown sugar , i also used a bottle of cheap brandy per gallon mixed in at bottling stops refermentation and makes a perfect ginger fortified wine fantastic with Whisky (Whisky Mac) on a cold winter night .

I followed this recipe -

-1Kg Ginger

-2Kg Sugar

-200g Raisins

-1 Lemon

-1 Lime

-Yeast

-Yeast nutrient

-4 Liters of water (aprox)

I chopped off the moldy bits of the ginger. Grated it up. Washed the raisins. Boiled up all the ingredients including the lemon and lime juice for 15 minutes. Added 1kg of sugar. Waited for it too cool. (At this stage the OG was 1.100) I then pitched the yeast and yeast nutrient. Going to let it ferment out for a couple of days. Then add half of the remaining sugar (500g). Allow to ferment for a couple more days. Then add the last 500g of sugar! Fit airlock and leave to mature for another couple years or so! See what it turns out like! ;)

I have staggered the amount of sugar im feeding the yeast, because I don't want them to die. Im looking for it to ferment out anywhere between 16% and 20%. I know that's hopeful especially because im using 'young's super wine yeast'. :lol:

i am SO making this for Christmas

i am SO making this for Christmas

This recipe is not mine , it was edited by chippie tea and he has mixed up my reply with the original post. I use more ginger and grate the ginger or zap in a food proccesor with sultanas, Pour over boiling water all into fermenting bucket with air lock, add a campden tablet 12hrs. then a couple of teaspoons of pectolose leave in fermenting bucket for 48hrs, add sugar lemon juice or citric acid yeast nutrient, dessert wine yeast. ferment for 5 days strain and squeeze into demi johns ferment until finished rack and clear then bottle with the brandy and age.You can adjust the acidity with citric acid at bottling if need be, use left overs to make ginger beer. leave plenty of space in the demi johns it can get quite volatile

If I'd have known I'd get my own thread I'd have put more effort into the first post and not just tapped it out my phone. :D

This is my second go... The first was an evening when I was waiting for everything to arrive and I just dumped stuff into an old pop bottle. I'd used 200g of sugar for 1.8L with the same yeast. No hydrometer, but I get the feeling it was quite alcoholic. It was very sweet, so I used less sugar this time, but now I'm wondering if it just hadn't finished fermenting.

This time got a reading of 1055, but dont know the temp I took it at! Looks like a thermometer is next on the list!

Back