Spraymalt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dps51

Landlord.
Reaction score
just wonder what is the amount of Spraymalt to use instead of 1kg of table sugar
also if I add Spraymalt to a ag when I do the boil would it add more body to the brew

just wonder what is the amount of Spraymalt to use instead of 1kg of table sugar
also if I add Spraymalt to a ag when I do the boil would it add more body to the brew

swap pro quota 1kg for 1kg.

swap pro quota 1kg for 1kg. :thumb:

I'd agree you swap gram for gram but, as spraymalt is less fermentable than sugar, you'll end up with a slightly higher FG than what the kit states...the beer will be better for it tho. If keeping the ABV up is important you could use an extra 5-10% spray malt.

You don't need to boil spraymalt.

Just curious, but why would you want to add expensive spraymalt to an AG brew? If you've gone to the trouble of doing an AG brew then adding some more grain would be much cheaper.

No spray malt wouldnt add more body just more OG points/ABV% as spraymalt is basically dehydrated wort. If you want to add more body to a AG beer either mash higher or use a yeast with a lower attenuation

You don't need to boil spraymalt.

Just curious, but why would you want to add expensive spraymalt to an AG brew? If you've gone to the trouble of doing an AG brew then adding some more grain would be much cheaper.

Not sure of the OP's reasons but you can use spraymalt to partial mash and make a bigger brew than your kettle allows. If say you can only do a 20L brew with your kettle but you want to do a 30L brew, mash some base malts (less than you'd use for a 30L brew) along with enough specialty malts for you 30L rciepe then 'bulk out' the brew to the 30L OG with some spray malt by just chucking it in the FV with the AG wort. Kind of like adding spray malt to a kit

You can also use it to make a stronger brew. If I remember rightly, I think in Ray Daniels book he says more than half of the medal winners in the RIS category of the American NHC use malt extract for this.

Latest posts

Back