Nelson Single Hop Pale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKi

Reaction score
Brewed this the other week.

Batch Size : 13L

2.3kg Maris Otter (84.5%)
205g Victory Malt (7.5%)
137g Wheat (5%)
83g Crystal 15L (3%)

5g Magnum 60 Mins
7g Nelson 20 Mins
11g Nelson 15 Mins + Protofloc
16g Nelson 10 Mins + Yeast Nutrient
41g Nelson 5 Mins
48g Nelson Dry Hop

Mangrove Jacks M44 Yeast (20C)
OG 1.053 FG 1.011

One of the best beers i ever had was a Kernel Nelson single hop pale, so thats what inspired me to brew this.

The brew day went remarkably well and i nailed my OG and later my FG. The M44 i also tried out instead of good old US05 fermented beautifully and seems to have flocculated more cleanly too.

I went a bit mad with the dry hops compared to normal, influenced by DIY Dog claiming it dry hops Punk with 8g per litre.

Anyway, i tried a bottle earlier (bottled on the 2nd) and the beer is SOOOOOO winey / grapey / Sauvignon Blancy :-o. Too much so tbh, and as of right now i don't care too much for it. However, i'm thinking it may be beautiful in another few weeks?

I've been reading up a little on Nelson Sauvin and it seems that the general consensus is that it should be used in moderation. :lol:

Has anyone else had this experience with Nelson? Also, i'm guessing its better to have a beer which is too full on and mellows, rather than one which doesn't pack enough initial punch?

Brewed a SMaSH DIPa with Golden Promise and Nelson Sauvin back in Nov 16.

We... uh... massively overcooked the hop bill on it. 17L batch with 40g Bittering, 20g mid-boil, 30g flameout. I had an extra 90g handy from overspill so we did two dry hop injections of 40g and 50g.

It was hoppy. It was also tart and hella gooseberry tasting.

Top tip: don't use too much Nelson.

40g bittering, must have had a mental whacking tang to it almost?

Did it mellow nicely?

Honestly, i'd love to say it did but I was impatient and necked my lot pretty quickly. It was tangy and tart. Some bottles (somehow) got infections and they came out sour. I learned very quickly that that combo was not for me.

My buddy has some bottles still in his shed ageing - more power to him.

NS is lovely but as you have found it can get funky when overdone, been there and learned the lesson, my overdone first one did mellow with time but still could only handle one bottle in a go

Latest posts

Back