hop utilisation in partial mash boil

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
I've been reading up about partial mash brewing having done my first yesterday. My mash consisted of 2.25 kg in around 7 litres and was sparged with around 4 litres. I boiled this and added my hops song the way.
Now. .because I done a reduced volume boil is my hop utilisation reduced in terms of bittering? If so,why?

Cheers

Clint

Supposedly so, yes. In a more concentrated boil you get a lower hop utilisation. However...as a max-biab brewer (I make a concentrated wort then dilute in the FV) I read that you get a lower hop utilisation when boiling in a concentrated wort, so accordingly added about 5 IBU more to each brew. I then stopped doing this, and couldn't tell any difference. So no longer add any extra hops and just follow a reciepe as if it was a full boil

23L, using a 15L pot for a beer of about 1.040. If I want a higher OG I just lower the L. I used to use an 18L pot

never thought of that before, so i could do my normal 10 lt biab but then dilute it down after the boil to say 18-20 lts depending on how much grain i used in the first place i guess?? something you don't read of in the books. Brilliant
i have to have a go at this :thumb::thumb:

i guess your topping up with cold water too, meaning i wouldn't have to use the wort chiller for so long??

never thought of that before, so i could do my normal 10 lt biab but then dilute it down after the boil to say 18-20 lts depending on how much grain i used in the first place i guess?? something you don't read of in the books. Brilliant
i have to have a go at this :thumb::thumb:

i guess your topping up with cold water too, meaning i wouldn't have to use the wort chiller for so long??

Yup. I use this dilution calc to work out how much to dilute by (It's really quite accurate) https://www.brewersfriend.com/dilution-and-boiloff-gravity-calculator/

I no-chill so just add the dilution water when the wort is cool but you can use cold water so you dont need to run the chiller for so long. I've used to use ice before to top up with too.

Dont forget to if you dilute your wort you dilute your hops too so you need to have enough hops for a 18-20L reciepe (if thats what your diluting to) rather than a 10L reciepe

Yup. I use this dilution calc to work out how much to dilute by (It's really quite accurate) https://www.brewersfriend.com/dilution-and-boiloff-gravity-calculator/

I no-chill so just add the dilution water when the wort is cool but you can use cold water so you dont need to run the chiller for so long. I've used to use ice before to top up with too.

Dont forget to if you dilute your wort you dilute your hops too so you need to have enough hops for a 18-20L reciepe (if thats what your diluting to) rather than a 10L reciepe

cheers MyQul thats brilliant :thumb:

Latest posts

Back