2 lever Bottle Capper problems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveWTBD

Reaction score
Is it something I am doing wrong?

Yesterday I was capping some bottles and the capper 'bit' the tops off two of the bottles.

I am using recycled bottles, so it might be that the glass was thinner than normal, but it gave me quite a shock - potentially quite dangerous as well.

The offending bottles, I think, were Lancaster Brewery bottles

http://www.lancasterbrewery.co.uk/Bottles

Is this an occupational hazard, or could it be my capper, or my technique, or the bottle?

It has made me a bit nervous about using the capper. Any ideas?

Cheers

Steve

I havent had this happen to me but I've found those lever cappers unreliable. It's defiantely worth investing in a bench capper (about £30) if your going to use bottles for any length of time

Those bottles look fine.
I have never had a problem with mine. I cap the bottles really quick and never had a broken one.
Are you resting the cap on the bottle first and then put the capper to the bottle?

I've had a Sol bottle neck begin to splinter.

I've also had problems with Hobgoblin bottles. Capper sliding off.

Otherwise all ok.

Like the idea of a bench jobbie.

I have had similar problems. I think some bottles are slightly larger than others and they actually break the capper. I was also breaking bottles with my old one and having to take 4 or 5 attempts to get the cap on. Replaced it and it works fine. A bench capper would be better as others suggest just not got round to buying one yet.

A bench capper solves all problems, except storage..

Ditto Bench Capper, started like most with a two lever, but it can be fussy on bottles and just a bit unreliable so it wasn't long until I upgraded.

Latest posts

Back