Black IPA Exact Brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vulcan603

Reaction score
Hi all,

Pretty new on the forum. I have been home-brewing kits for years now. I tend to stick with festival kits as I am generally more than happy with the results.

I want to make a black IPA but I am not aware of any kits available. Is there an easy way to make one using extract brewing. I know I could go AG brewing but I have never done AG before and don't have any of the gear to do it.

Cheers

Hi all,

Pretty new on the forum. I have been home-brewing kits for years now. I tend to stick with festival kits as I am generally more than happy with the results.

I want to make a black IPA but I am not aware of any kits available. Is there an easy way to make one using extract brewing. I know I could go AG brewing but I have never done AG before and don't have any of the gear to do it.

Cheers
Yes there is.
Have done a couple myself,both turned our very well.One bottled and one in a PB which i am drinking now.The second one actually came out under IPA strength,but tastes great and is more drinkeable:thumb:
If you want a recipe pm me or hunt the internet for some ideas,loads out there:)

Thanks for your reply. Would love some ideas on a brew.

For me I have only even done pretty hopped kits. How does extract kits differ?I figure I will need to boil up the extract and my hops. Also how about the dark grains do these need to be soaked ?

Maybe I should start researching extract brewing first instead, I am really keen to learn the process with the aim to eventually get to all grain.

BrewUK do an extract Black IPA, not made it myself but a mate has and he gave me a bottle, it's really nice.
https://www.brewuk.co.uk/lo-extract-recipe.html

If you can brew a kit, you can brew an extract. Grains are steeped in water around 70C for 30mins - you can usually use your largest kitchen pan as there isn't a lot of them. Then strain the liquid into a large stockpot (12L or 15L, cheap off eBay), add more water and some of the extract to make up about 8-10L, then boil. Hops are added at various points in the boil. After that, just strain into the FV and top up with cold water. You shouldn't need to worry about cooling as you do a reduced-volume boil that is topped up with cold water, but you can just stick the pan in a sinkfull of cold water to cool a bit if you like.

Latest posts

Back