Have a go at simple AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks MyQul
I tasted the sample and there didn't seem to be any off flavours, at least not yet.
It actually tasted quite light, not bad at all. Couldn't really detect the Mosaic hops though.

Thats good. If you've got any mosaic left, you could add a hop tea at bottling time to boost the mosaic flavour

Just supping my second stove-top AG, a 10 litre chinook and cascade pale ale I put together. This is the beer I always wanted to make, but never thought I could. For anyone who is thinking about AG, just jump in! It really is not difficult if you've done a few kits and your homework. I don't think Clibit is still on here, but if he was I'd be extending my gratitude for this thread.

I've now invested in a bulldog brewer (first brew on that tomorrow) but probably wouldn't have dipped my toe into AG without this thread :)

Thats good. If you've got any mosaic left, you could add a hop tea at bottling time to boost the mosaic flavour
That's a great idea. I do still have 35g of Mosaic pellets left. Don't suppose I'd need all of that for such a small brew. Glad I'm getting something out of it. Really thought my first AG was dead yesterday.

That's a great idea. I do still have 35g of Mosaic pellets left. Don't suppose I'd need all of that for such a small brew. Glad I'm getting something out of it. Really thought my first AG was dead yesterday.

35g is plenty. Add as much as you like.

Beer is surprisingly resistant to being cocked up. It WANTS to be made :thumb:

Just supping my second stove-top AG, a 10 litre chinook and cascade pale ale I put together. This is the beer I always wanted to make, but never thought I could. For anyone who is thinking about AG, just jump in! It really is not difficult if you've done a few kits and your homework. I don't think Clibit is still on here, but if he was I'd be extending my gratitude for this thread.

I've now invested in a bulldog brewer (first brew on that tomorrow) but probably wouldn't have dipped my toe into AG without this thread :)

Totally agree with you there. Reading this whole thread shows just how many have been inspired to have a go.
My first AG has been sparged in three lots because I couldn't fit all of the grain in my sieve, then fermented for about 8 hours at 30c and it still looks like I'm going to get something worth drinking.
As MyQul said, it wants to be made!
Roll on AG number 2.

I am making some very nice low alcohol beers, all grain, the last two were 2.2% and 1.6%

for some reason citra hops suit low alcohol beers !

Mungri - how do you know my name ????????

Made my second AG of 5Ltrs today. Another simple recipe.
1kg Maris otter pale
200 g Crystal 50
10g Citra hop pellets at boil start
15g Citra hop pellets 5 mins from end of boil.
Crossmyloof US Pale Ale yeast

Mash in at 7.15am and yeast pitched at 11.00am. Knocked over an hour off from my first attempt. Largely down to using a mashing / sparging bag. I found this much easier.
Brewers friend estimated sg at 1053, I actually got 1043 pre boil and 1060 post boil (added a little water to bring it to 1055). I was well down on the expected sg with my first effort, so was pleased with this one.
This batch of Maris Otter seemed to be crushed finer than my first lot (from different suppliers). Wondering if this would account for the higher efficiency.
The wort tasted very nice. A much fuller flavour than AG1.
All in all hoping for good things from this one.
Enjoyed making it even more than the first.
Thinking I may get the Peco boiler biab kit from geterbrewed. At just over ��£100.00 including one of their all grain kits it seems a cheap way in to bigger volumes. :thumb:

I'm so excited. I've ordered 1.5kg of Maris Otter & 0.5kg of Crystal Malt from my local HB shop.

I have hops in the freezer. I have yeast from Crossmyloof.

This will cost £3.90 for a 10ltr batch.

I'm genuinely thrilled.

It's amazing how cheaply you can make AG beers (even a novice like myself).
Keep telling the wife how much money I'm saving. Only wish I could make bigger volumes.:smile:
Hope your brew day goes well.

I'm so excited. I've ordered 1.5kg of Maris Otter & 0.5kg of Crystal Malt from my local HB shop.

I have hops in the freezer. I have yeast from Crossmyloof.

This will cost �£3.90 for a 10ltr batch.

I'm genuinely thrilled.

You dont plan on using all that crystal in your brew do you?

You can. By making a concentrated wort and diluting in the FV. E.g. I can make a full 23L brew usng my 15L pot as long as it's 1.040 OG or lower (If I want to make a higher OG I just do a shorter brew length)

So.....

By making a concentrated wort and diluting in the FV. E.g. I can make a 11L brew usng my 6L ?

apologies if a daft question! :doh:

So.....

By making a concentrated wort and diluting in the FV. E.g. I can make a 11L brew usng my 6L ?

apologies if a daft question! :doh:

6L pot? Essentially yes, probably. I say that because I've never come across (tbh I've never purposely looked) a formula for how much bigger brew length you can do with a particular size pot (if one exists) for MAXI-BIAB. I've just done it by trial and error.
With my previous 18.5L pot I found I could fit/mash a max 5.2kg grain in there. With my current 15L pot I found I could fit/mash 4.2kg in. So just used brewing software to work out OG and brewlength available to me with these grain/mash maximums

You can. By making a concentrated wort and diluting in the FV. E.g. I can make a full 23L brew usng my 15L pot as long as it's 1.040 OG or lower (If I want to make a higher OG I just do a shorter brew length)

Not sure our smallish hob could get a 15L pot to a rolling boil. My poor pot is only 7L and even this is 1.5 times the size of the biggest ring. I could maybe get 10L using this method though.
I was thinking of getting a boiler and doing biab that way. Not sure if it's the right way to go but at �£100 for the kit it wouldn't be a disaster if I needed to upgrade.

Latest posts

Back