First go at a cider kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richytrue

Reaction score
OK Guys and Gals the missus is deciding to stamp her authority on my fledgling brewing adventure and has stated that I need to make her a cider brew. I've got the equipment to make a 30 bottle wine kit (I have a Cellar 7 Spanish Rojo on the go at the moment) but I have a couple of questions for you seasoned professionals...which are:-

1. The wife likes a Dark Fruit/ Berry cider....what's the best one?
2. Do I need any more equipment than my 23ltr fermenting bucket and carbouy?
3. I have a bit of a space issue. .what's the best way to bottle/bag/keg a cider kit?

Ta in advance

I've done a couple of turbo ciders using supermarket apple juice and Lowicz syrup. Half a bottle per gallon works for me. I've also done a couple of BrewBuddy cider kits which I got cheap, and I'm sure you could pimp them with fruit syrup too. I haven't made any berry cider kits but the On The Rocks ones get good reviews.

OK Guys and Gals the missus is deciding to stamp her authority on my fledgling brewing adventure and has stated that I need to make her a cider brew. I've got the equipment to make a 30 bottle wine kit (I have a Cellar 7 Spanish Rojo on the go at the moment) but I have a couple of questions for you seasoned professionals...which are:-

1. The wife likes a Dark Fruit/ Berry cider....what's the best one?
2. Do I need any more equipment than my 23ltr fermenting bucket and carbouy?
3. I have a bit of a space issue. .what's the best way to bottle/bag/keg a cider kit?

Ta in advsnce
The best Cider kits on the market are with out doubt Ciderworks kits there superb if made right, use all the ingredients dont try to make them dry, there from love to brew at Chesterfield. i make the Apple and Apple and Elderflower there Excellent

Cheers chaps...#GDog mentioned Ciderworks to me and the missus quite likes the look of the On The Rocks Mixed Berry...anyone out there ever done one of those?

did you decide on bottling? What is everyone else doing I wonder..

Asda sparkling flavoured water is 40p a litre - 22 of those would cost like £8 and do numerous batches, plus, you get to drink the contents first?

So, I've went with a PB from Tesco as they have them on for �£12.50 and I've bought a Bulldog Premium Strawberry & Lime kit. As you do had a bit YouTube viewing on how to use one and ALL the videos use a CO2 injector cap. The one from Tesco doesn't have one so my question is do I need to get one or will a standard cap "work". If I need to get one about how much are they - oh and has anyone tried that Bulldog variety before?

So there was a change of plan as Tesco had a "supply" issue with the PB (I think they mispriced it at £12.50 to be honest) so I went with 1lt PET bottles from Home Brew Online. The brew finished primary fermenting on Sunday 7th May and was batch primed and bottled the same day.

I'm slightly concerned as there is about 2mm of sediment already in the bottles and they don't appear to be doing much, however, they are rock hard and can barely be squeezed with two hands - with this being my first try at a cider can anyone tell me if this is normal and if not is there something else I should be doing?

Ta

So there was a change of plan as Tesco had a "supply" issue with the PB (I think they mispriced it at �£12.50 to be honest) so I went with 1lt PET bottles from Home Brew Online. The brew finished primary fermenting on Sunday 7th May and was batch primed and bottled the same day.

I'm slightly concerned as there is about 2mm of sediment already in the bottles and they don't appear to be doing much, however, they are rock hard and can barely be squeezed with two hands - with this being my first try at a cider can anyone tell me if this is normal and if not is there something else I should be doing?

Ta

Perfectly normal.

So there was a change of plan as Tesco had a "supply" issue with the PB (I think they mispriced it at �£12.50 to be honest) so I went with 1lt PET bottles from Home Brew Online. The brew finished primary fermenting on Sunday 7th May and was batch primed and bottled the same day.

Ta

if you had left it another week or more or put a wilkos wine clear through it then left it a week, it would be super clear in the bottle. try not to rush things, let it clear before bottling you only get out what you put in. put clear beer -cider in, you will get clear out.simples :thumb:

Yeah it was pretty clear when I bottled as read a couple of threads about storing it somewhere cold for a few days once fermenting is done...I only put it in my cold place for 3 days though as thought that maybe the yeast would finish and id have nothing to carb the secondary fermentation....like
I say....first go (wont be the last mind as the bit i swigged out of the trial jar was pretty awesome)

Yeah it was pretty clear when I bottled as read a couple of threads about storing it somewhere cold for a few days once fermenting is done...I only put it in my cold place for 3 days though as thought that maybe the yeast would finish and id have nothing to carb the secondary fermentation....like
I say....first go (wont be the last mind as the bit i swigged out of the trial jar was pretty awesome)

There will be enough yeast to carb if you left it six weeks , beer and cider needs that rest after fermentation finishes so the yeast can clean up any off tastes or odours left from fermentation, so leave a week then rack off drop a wine clear in and leave cold for another week then bottle. Treat your self and do a Ciderworks kit i mentioned earlier in this thread Use all the ingredients all the sweetener and you will get a cracking mature apple tasting cider. :thumb:

Ta for the advice mate especially on the yeast thing, where do you normally go for your Ciderworks and ill get one set away and stowed for the summer...

Ta for the advice mate especially on the yeast thing, where do you normally go for your Ciderworks and ill get one set away and stowed for the summer...

love brewing chesterfield i only buy these kits from them , but will have a go at their beer kits on my next order. its over £46 for free delivery , most brew shops its far more

Ah right they do the Wineworks stuff as well dont they? I was looking at them when I was first thinking of starting out...think it may be their own brand or something as it doesnt look like you can get it anywheee else (well at least the sites ive used in the past like Creative, Brewbitz and HomeBrewOnline)

Well the kit said sample after a week and i dont intend to disappoint. One for me one for the missus, its clearing up nicely but of course needs a couple of weeks yet. Its bloody gorgeous though :-) and creative winemaking still have it on offer for £15!!!

20170514_120657.jpg

20170514_121003.jpg

Well the kit said sample after a week and i dont intend to disappoint. One for me one for the missus, its clearing up nicely but of course needs a couple of weeks yet. Its bloody gorgeous though :-) and creative winemaking still have it on offer for �£15!!!

Is this the bulldog premium strawberry and lime kit?

Back