Brewferm Christmas...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can you remember if you put priming sugar in the swingtop bottles?it is suppose to ferment out at 1020 and then bottled with no priming sugar whats so ever, i bottled mine, tried it 6 months after,not great, left for a few more months started to come alive, after a year in the bottle was superb

It looks like the instructions have changed. When I did it a few years ago you let it ferment to 1.020 and bottled with no priming sugar. I've just bought another and it tells you to ferment down to 1.010 and bottle with priming sugar.

It looks like the instructions have changed. When I did it a few years ago you let it ferment to 1.020 and bottled with no priming sugar. I've just bought another and it tells you to ferment down to 1.010 and bottle with priming sugar.

why change something that works?
these were the old instructions http://www.mojepivo.com/documentation/instructions_brewferm.pdf

does it ferment down to 1010? if so has the recipe changed slightly?

Thanks for that, the plot thickens somewhat...

Firstly as mentioned the old instructions suggest that the FG for the Christmas kit is 1.020, the only one in the list with that, the rest are 1.010. As well as bottling without priming sugar.

The old instructions also say to ferment at 25°C whereas the new ones suggest 18-23°C so I set mine at 20°C as I would do for any other ale. Maybe they've changed the yeast, maybe they haven't?

Either way I'm going to leave it in the secondary for two weeks max, if it's still at 1.022 then I'll bottle with no sugar and hope it wakes up again sometime later.

why change something that works?
these were the old instructions http://www.mojepivo.com/documentation/instructions_brewferm.pdf

does it ferment down to 1010? if so has the recipe changed slightly?

I'm not sure if anything has changed other than the instructions. They also now suggest to transfer to secondary for a period before bottling.

I'm not going to use the kit yeast on this one. I'm going to try half a pack of the Crossmyloof Belgian Ale yeast (the other half is going into a small batch of Belgian IPA), so I am going to see what this gets down to after two weeks and take it from there!

can you remember if you put priming sugar in the swingtop bottles?it is suppose to ferment out at 1020 and then bottled with no priming sugar whats so ever, i bottled mine, tried it 6 months after,not great, left for a few more months started to come alive, after a year in the bottle was superb

Yes, I recall that I did not add priming sugar at either the first bottling or the second.

Why mine gushed and yours did not, I don't know for sure.

Thanks for that, the plot thickens somewhat...

Firstly as mentioned the old instructions suggest that the FG for the Christmas kit is 1.020, the only one in the list with that, the rest are 1.010. As well as bottling without priming sugar.

The old instructions also say to ferment at 25°C whereas the new ones suggest 18-23°C so I set mine at 20°C as I would do for any other ale. Maybe they've changed the yeast, maybe they haven't?

Either way I'm going to leave it in the secondary for two weeks max, if it's still at 1.022 then I'll bottle with no sugar and hope it wakes up again sometime later.
bottling at 1022 will be fine with no sugar, i used crown caps not swing caps and i had to wait nearly a year before it was any good, but it was worth the wait, methinks the best result from a kit ever but as we all know patience was the key, luckily i have a garage and a roller shutter cabinet which they lived for a long long time in the dark

Yes, I recall that I did not add priming sugar at either the first bottling or the second.

Why mine gushed and yours did not, I don't know for sure.

i only use crown caps, never used swing cap bottles, maybe a difference? but it shouldnt have blown after what seems like a short maturation time, where id you store it it Slid? mine was stored in a cool garage all year

i only use crown caps, never used swing cap bottles, maybe a difference? but it shouldnt have blown after what seems like a short maturation time, where id you store it it Slid? mine was stored in a cool garage all year

It was in a North facing garage, but it would have got up to mid-teens of temperatures during the summer, perhaps.
Initially I thought it might be OK being bottled at 1.018, but it was a great gusher by the time I tried it at the end of the summer. Real faff emptying the bottles out into a small (15L) FV and jugging it back into the swing tops.

I had the same problem with a sweet stout last summer , i fired it all back into a bottling bucket rebottled (with no more suger) and its drinking fine now, some times yeast can be sneaky hide in your brew and restart after bottling

Nearly two weeks on in the secondary and still at 1.022. Bottled it on Saturday evening without priming sugar and put it back in the brew fridge to carbonate though I'm not really sure that's going to happen immediately. So in for the long game on this one, will stash it away in the garage somewhere and report back in December unless the bottles start exploding in the meantime!

Mine is currently at 1.018 after 2 weeks at 20C. Ramped up to 23C and roused last night so I’ll see where I’ve got to by Sunday night as I planned to bottle on Monday.

Thread from the dead :D

This beer really came good for the Christmas just gone, think I've got one bottle left that I'll probably have this weekend. I was intended for 2017 but it lacked carbonation and depth so having had a few bottles I just stashed the rest away in the deep dark recesses of my garage. A year on I remembered it was there so revisited this Christmas, decent carbonation / head now and a very good beer. Funny stuff but probably need to plan to be making it 18 months to 2 years ahead of when you want it!

If it doesn't go lower than 1.018 then I'd be wary of adding any priming sugar as it does seem to wake up again at some point in the future aunsure....

Now thinking what should I put on for this Christmas as this has gone and so has most of my Abdji.

Latest posts

Back