2nd Grainfather Brew - BrewDog's Hop Fiction

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagnusTS

Reaction score
My 2nd brew on the Grainfather is the Hop Fiction recipe from DIYDog.

With 100g of Mosaic, Chinook and Amarillo hops this turned out quite expensive (~��£31 altogether).

I was a bit quicker this time, about 5hrs 15mins from start to finish, but made a totally stupid mistake measuring pre-boil SG:

The pre-boil wort was really pale, almost like water, and straight away I thought I'd messed up the mash, or had used crappy grain or something. When I measured the pre-boil SG it was really low ~1.022, with mash efficiency way down at about 44%.

I thought about just chucking it out and re-doing the mash with fresh grain another day, so I wouldn't waste my expensive hops on such a weak brew.

But I remembered I had a spare Kg of medium DME in the cupboard, so I quickly chucked that into the boil to boost the final ABV a bit, and carried on with the brew.

Towards the end of the brew I noticed that my hydrometer was sitting a lot higher in the sample jar than when I measured the pre-boil SG. Have you spotted my stupid mistake yet? Yes. I forgot to adjust for temperature when I took the reading. The adjusted SG was 1.046, which was spot on, or maybe even a little high, with a mash efficiency of 85%.

So it looks like I've ended up with a stronger version of Hop Fiction. The extra DME has boosted the OG to 1.052 (expected 1.048); this is even after I added an extra 2L tap water over and above the target FV volume.

Oh well, you live and learn don't you. I reckon it'll still taste good. :)

My 2nd brew on the Grainfather is the Hop Fiction recipe from DIYDog.

With 100g of Mosaic, Chinook and Amarillo hops this turned out quite expensive (~���£31 altogether).

I was a bit quicker this time, about 5hrs 15mins from start to finish, but made a totally stupid mistake measuring pre-boil SG:

The pre-boil wort was really pale, almost like water, and straight away I thought I'd messed up the mash, or had used crappy grain or something. When I measured the pre-boil SG it was really low ~1.022, with mash efficiency way down at about 44%.

I thought about just chucking it out and re-doing the mash with fresh grain another day, so I wouldn't waste my expensive hops on such a weak brew.

But I remembered I had a spare Kg of medium DME in the cupboard, so I quickly chucked that into the boil to boost the final ABV a bit, and carried on with the brew.

Towards the end of the brew I noticed that my hydrometer was sitting a lot higher in the sample jar than when I measured the pre-boil SG. Have you spotted my stupid mistake yet? Yes. I forgot to adjust for temperature when I took the reading. The adjusted SG was 1.046, which was spot on, or maybe even a little high, with a mash efficiency of 85%.

So it looks like I've ended up with a stronger version of Hop Fiction. The extra DME has boosted the OG to 1.052 (expected 1.048); this is even after I added an extra 2L tap water over and above the target FV volume.

Oh well, you live and learn don't you. I reckon it'll still taste good. :)

Nothing stupid here, Magnus, just getting to terms with the new toy and over-reacting to what looks like a problem. You are definitely not alone in this!

This beer is going to be great.

I read from your post that you intend on using 3 x 100g of very expensive US C hops in one brew?

No wonder you got excited.

Nothing stupid here, Magnus, just getting to terms with the new toy and over-reacting to what looks like a problem. You are definitely not alone in this!

This beer is going to be great.

I read from your post that you intend on using 3 x 100g of very expensive US C hops in one brew?

No wonder you got excited.

Thanks Slid.
Yep. 3 x 100g of expensive hops.
Only 12g went in at start of boil for bittering.
100g at flame out for flavouring.
And a massive 188g (62g of each) saved for dry hopping.

Maybe brew #2 was too early for such an expensive recipe.

Here's the recipe:

Hop_Fiction.jpg

I love Hop Fiction! It's on my very extensive list of brews to make!

Let is know how it turns out. Being a bit stronger is never an issue! 😉

Time to dry hop GF brew #2: BrewDog Hop Fiction

62.5g each of Mosaic, Amarillo, and Chinook
188g total !!

There was so much hop matter I had trouble getting them to sink into the brew.

Smelt absolutely awesome though. :thumb:

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

Ooh. I missed this thread the first time round. This is a great beer. If it were me I'd convince myself that, due to the higher volume, I would have to add all the hops. :twisted:

Ooh. I missed this thread the first time round. This is a great beer. If it were me I'd convince myself that, due to the higher volume, I would have to add all the hops. :twisted:

Ha ha, yes indeed. I do worry about diluting the hop flavour when I add extra water to bring down the abv. I used the last of my hops for dry hopping. The recipe used exactly 100g of each, so quite efficient when buying 100g bags, no left overs.

To be honest, I'm not sure I could have fit any more dry hops in the FV ! :smile:

Looking forward to hearing how this one tastes and whether you manage to keep the hop aroma that the original has. FYI if you didn't know already Brewdog dry hop for 5 days at 14C.

Thanks Foxbat, I'll keep you posted on how the Hop Fiction turns out.

I read they recommend 5 days at 14C, but I don't have temp control for my FV, so it's just been at room temp. I should have bottled this on Saturday, but was too busy, so if I get it bottled tonight it will have been 7 days dry-hopping, not 5.

There is so much hop leaf that a lot of it is not in the wort, but sitting on top of it, so I've cracked open the FV a couple of times to gently stir the hops into the wort. The smell is amazing and fills the house. My middle son came down last night to ask if anything had 'gone wrong' with my brew, as the smell was so strong.

Out of interest, does anybody know what the lethal dose of hops is for humans? :-?

Latest posts

Back