Dodgy Corny :(

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazziep

Reaction score
I think I've been done :(

Bought a corny yesterday off gumtree, and thought I'd test it out.

The guy had put some gas in to show me that the seals were ok and and it wasn't leaking CO2, so I trusted him

Today I poured some water in it, went to attach the gas in and noticed the valve felt a bit loose, so just tried tightening it by hand and it popped off, so I put it back on and tightened it and it started getting tight then a little bit more (by hand not spanner) and boom shot off again :(

I'm guessing the thread is knackered and I'm guessing it's the thread on the actual keg not the valve so I'm also guessing that's it, it's a dead one and as I bought on gumtree bought as seen there is bugger all I can do about it :(

please tell me there is a cheap way I can fix the corny.. I'm not the richest man in the world, these corny's aren't cheap and I really can't afford to be out of pocket :(

As you say, if the thread on the keg is knacked then your out of luck. If its the internal thread on the post then happy days.
take the post of an inspect both threads, upload a photo of each if your not sure.

Couldn't get a good picture of the inside of the post but this is the corny..it doesn't look great to me :(

20170423_214346.jpg

Looks fine to me, i can see at least 3 intact threads. Try a new post, try ebay, if your willing to wait they're cheap from china otherwise about a tenner a pair from uk.

these posts look thinner than the ones on my other keg..

silly question .. are they all the same, I just order a new set of ball locks, there's not different sizes or anything ??

If you have another keg then why dont you try swapping the post's to see if it tightens up ?

Take Care!! a poorly fitting post could become a lethal bullet if used with any pressure..

The thread to be concerned about is the keg female thread and if that is worn/threaded then you have been sold a lemon.

However as said above there are a number of different manufacturers of these kegs and differences in posts and poppets between brands so if its a case of mismatched parts there could be a reasonably priced solution. there are forum posts detailing all the differences between the kegs either in US or Australian home brew forums that google should find for you, eventually ;)

But unless you find and fit a solidly anchored post in place i would not use that keg at all

sorry,

I don't think I can swap the posts with my other corny as they look different sizes (that was why I asked :) ) my other posts look fatter and these look long and thin.. but they must be the same size for the disconnect to fit both (hence my confusion :D )

Although new posts are quite cheap I didn't really want to have to spend more money on it when there is a chance it still might not be the post.. I have contacted the guy hoping he's a nice chap and will say "sorry to hear that, I have several more, bring it back and I'll swap it"..

but surprise surprise he hasn't responded :(

I've just tried out of interest the bigger posts off my other corny and it seems to fit a lot better and I can get it tight.. I daren't try too much with spanner as scared of breaking it more.. but yep that looks like what's happened @dads_ale wrong size post forced on.. is it worth keeping now and getting proper posts or take it back?

If its a local trip to exchange, and by the sounds of it, its from an honest chap dealer/ he may have a correct post to fit for you or at least a keg without the loose post issue so i would go for the exchange/fix. the unsolvable problem comes when trying to screw in a post thats not seated correctly which screws up the female thread in the keg body which due to the thin metal can not be re-cut straight..
A clean screw in with a correct sized post is a very strong indicator that the female thread is intact and sound.

Back