Burco C30STHF 30 litre safety boiler OR New Brupaks Boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doch

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I was used a Lidl Jam Maker for my first brew, but on the second brew it gave up 15 minutes into the boil. I returned it, with no exchange unit available.

I'm wanting to invest in a boiler that will last me a good long while. I'd rather not go for a plastic bucket model, or anything that will cost me more than £150 quid for everything all in.

There seems to be two options that look good:

Burco C30STHF 30 Litre Safety Boiler (This is the one with the multiple thermostats and the integrated 3KW element). They can be bought it appears new for around £120 - £140.

or

New Brupaks Boiler (2k KW with the new ball valve tap and heavy plastic outer). It seems to rang in price from £140 - £155, and comes with everything.

My understanding is that the Burco requires a mod to disconnect the 95oC sensor, but is otherwise fine. I don't know if the New Brupaks needs any modification to provide a rolling boil?

Any opinions on what I should buy? I don't want to mess up with this amount of hard earned cash.

Cheers!
Colin.

I'm not keen in DIY options involving thin plastic buckets, as I've heard of a horror story with a flexing plastic bucket, and it wasn't nice. I'd rather just get a couple of burnt fingers for some hot stainless steel that doesn't flex.

On manufacturing anything involving steel, I don't have any metal working tools, so the cost of them would come out my budget. And I'd need to know where to get the bits required to do a good job. Don't like the, just drill it rough and use lots of tape approach to seal it up.

So yes, open to some recommendations on DIY, but would like to know of any reviews comparisons on the ready made option too.

As another option for you that I consider to be better than the Burco (It's 10L bigger) and way more powerful than the Brupaks boiler is the Buffalo Water boiler from Nisbetts which is 120 quid.

With insulation they make very efficient units and are easy to fit a replacement tap to (Using a file to make the hole a bit larger to take a tank connector) . . . and then that allows you to fit a hop filter inside.

Are there suppliers who can provide spare elements for the Buffalo, or is it a throw it out? Are they reliable in the industry? Do they all have a 110oC top temperature?

Thanks,
Colin.

Aleman said:
As another option for you that I consider to be better than the Burco (It's 10L bigger) and way more powerful than the Brupaks boiler is the Buffalo Water boiler from Nisbetts which is 120 quid.

With insulation they make very efficient units and are easy to fit a replacement tap to (Using a file to make the hole a bit larger to take a tank connector) . . . and then that allows you to fit a hop filter inside.

I got one after seeing Alemans comments about them :thumb: insulated it with camping mat and duct tape :thumb: I'm very pleased indeed with performance so far :thumb: the extra capacity, 40 litres, is very handy indeed, gives a good rolling boil :thumb:
Someone in the factory where they're made has a sense of humour, there's a sticker on the lid 'Do not carry when full' :nono: :lol:

amrrqv.jpg

doch said:
Are there suppliers who can provide spare elements for the Buffalo, or is it a throw it out?

There's a spare parts list comes with the paperwork.

doch said:
Are they reliable in the industry?

Dunno, but they've been around a while.

doch said:
Do they all have a 110oC top temperature?

The Buffalo gets right up there to 110c :?: or at least to a good rolling boil without fiddling around disconnecting thermostats etc, I had a Burco given a while back which I first used, I gave it away when I got the Buffalo, nuff said ;)

Is the insulation required for the rolling boil, or is it just for efficiency and hand safety?

Just out of interest, how many brews have you done in it? And how long do you normally have it boiling for?

doch said:
Is the insulation required for the rolling boil, or is it just for efficiency and hand safety?

Never tried it without insulation, reckon it has to be far more efficient with insulation

doch said:
Just out of interest, how many brews have you done in it?

5 with the Buffalo, the previous brews were with a Burco...... Buffalo far more eficcient than Burco, which is why I changed

doch said:
And how long do you normally have it boiling for?

90 mins

The Buffalo is my personal preference, I know there are others here who use them and many others who make their own with plastic or use another type etc, your decision at the end of the day :hmm:

Baz

I like the look of the Buffalo; size, control, no fuss.

Do you use a false bottom in your buffalo or did you replace the original tap and use a hop filter?

YogiB

Another vote for the 40l Buffalo. Mine is fitted with ball valve ( made hole slightly bigger with grinding stone in drill), and hop filter(flexible tap connector now in bin).
I have only done 1 AG brew in it but;
It does a good rolling boil, no electrical worries, plenty of room for a 25l brew AND it is SHINY. :thumb:

Orange

Received my Baffalo last night, it looks great. Thanks for the advice.

I've read of part 7786 from bes to act as a tank connector and was planning to buy this. Can anyone tell me if fitting this requires a one of these QMAX cutter things?

Also, where do people get there bits of stainless steel hose connectors and valves?

I found this place on the web, but don't know if they are any good?

http://www.valves-online.co.uk/acatalog ... Piece.html

1/2" Standard manual 3 piece

Ref: 2025-04
£13.04
(£15.65 Incl. VAT)

Thanks, for the advice,

Colin. Pictures will follow.

YogiB said:
Baz

I like the look of the Buffalo; size, control, no fuss.

Do you use a false bottom in your buffalo or did you replace the original tap and use a hop filter?

YogiB

Sorry for late reply, I've been out of circulation for a week, only catching up this morning :roll:

I didn't change the tap, just filed one edge of the lever flat so it would stop in the 'open' position :!:

Codged together a hop filter with tubing and a stainless flexible hose :idea:

I used my new Buffalo yesterday for its first brew and am really impressed. It achieved a nice rolling boil with no modification and looked shiney!

I did lose 2-3 litres more to evaporation, but simply topped the FV up at the end with boiled water. Any reason why next time I shouldn't increase my fly-sparge water by 3 litres to compensate?

I haven't bothered to change the tap as my original hopstrainer slotted straight in and I am not adverse to tipping the boiler for the last few drips! I did a quick test and the deadspace is only 1.5 litres which i can live with. I am also terrified of trying to enlarge the hole size and ruining my new boiler (especially as it was a gift!).

All in all, a great purchase - thanks everyone who has recommended it!

Hi Jez,

Please could you let me know what type of hop strainer you use?
I am quite keen to try one of these Buffalo boilers and it would be good to find something that fits without any modification.

Many thanks,

Dan.

I use a 30li Rubbermaid (available from Nisibtts £17.00) and a Electrim 2kw element (£15.95) never had any problems at all, rolling boil etc. 1 minute with a drill and a tank cutter (i have one if you want to borrow it) and away you go. Ive done at least 15 brews with this set-up and it works fine, just make sure you scrub the element after use.

dearl said:
Hi Jez,
Please could you let me know what type of hop strainer you use?
I am quite keen to try one of these Buffalo boilers and it would be good to find something that fits without any modification.
Many thanks,
Dan.

Hi Dan,
I used to have a Bruheat Plastic Boiler which I got from the Home Brew Shop and this is the strainer I bought...

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Universal_Hop_Strainer_for_Bruheat_Thorn_Boilers.html

i was pleasantly surprised when it fitted into the Buffalo's tap! Mine looks more like the top one in the photo on the website.

Back