Water

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyroboris

Reaction score
Hi All,

Am horrendously new to this brewing game, but have my first batch sat in the fermenter. :D

I used bottled supermarket water for my first brew, as I didn't really have the facilities nor time to boil up 5 gallons of tap water, and let it cool again before use.

Now Birmingham tap water is quite hard (and stolen from Wales), but generally regarded as very good quality, and the wizard at the local brew shop said he used the water here straight from the tap. If anyone here is from the midlands/brum area, is this OK?

Also, I go and visit and friends in the Malverns quite often, and have pondered the use of the free Malvern Hills water:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malvern_water#Springs

:hmm:

If it is kits you are doing don't worry about water, a half crushed camden tablet to drive off chlorine and you will be fine. If you are AG don't worry too much about water until your usued to brewing then you can start tweeking. Tap water is fine.

Birmingham tap water is very good (Cheers Ebbw Vale). Absolutley no need to use a Camden tablet. Ive never brewed with Malvern spring water, but often go and get 50li to drink. If its good enough to drink straight from the well taps its good enough to brew with.

if youve got good tap water m8 then make the most of it .. i personally use bottled water to brew with but only because i cant stand the taste of london water (well our area anyway) ... its always cloudy and has a strong floride taste to it ... but i think this is because we have had building works near us for the last 2 yrs or so (and no where near finished) and the water supply is forever getting disturbed .. i work in a different part of london and it isnt the same there .. still not brilliant but better.

My last four batches of kit homebrew have all been made with Malvern Spring water and they've all turned out excellent as did the Wherry ,my first ever , made with tap water .

Hello,
I live in the west midlands and supplied by severn trent. My advice will be to buy a Salifert alkalinity test kit from e-bay, This is the test you need to make on your water to make it suitable for brewing. My alkalinity varies between 55ppm and 115ppm so waterboards tests are useless, I test every brew. Look at Brupacks( information water treatment) for additions of CRS ( carbonate reducing solution ) and DLS ( dry liquor salts ) . If you need any help just get in touch it's easy really :cheers: .
Good brewing

As fisherman says Salifert kits are the only way to check on the actual alkalinity of the water, which is what you want to adjust if you are brewing all grain, for extract or kits it does not matter. However always add 1/2 campden tablet for 23L of water, it does no harm and it is not worth taking the risk with off tastes from the chlorine in the water.

Latest posts

Back