Hop growing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artiums_enteri

Regular.
Reaction score
I just saw on Facebook my local shops are taking pre-orders for rhizomes in a couple weeks. The wife and I plan to buy 4 cascade plants for the backyard, and let the climb up the fence, over a lattice, and back down the adjacent fence making a nice hop canopy over one end of the yard. Cascade seem to grow well here with the hot climate and little rain. I was curious if any of you guys grow hops, and what kind of success you've had with them.

i've heard it takes 3 years for the vines to really establish and get a decent yield, enough for 5 gal anyway. don't let your dogs near them either, they're poisonous to them.

i doubt beer gets much more satisfying than knowing you grew a large part of it yourself... :p

Have a look here Art, Hop growing
Yep some of us have had a go ;)
S
There is a good forum search facility, top right, to see what is around. :)

I've got some target in and I have my cascade and bramling X on order to plant this year.

I've got a "Prima Donna" dwarf variety, from the first season it's produced enough to brew around 160 pints per season... :D
It's under a pergola type structure with a corrugated plastic roof, so the cones are sheltered from the wind and rain.
Hoparea.jpg

Closeuphops.jpg

^^^^

That is exactly what I have in mind. I bet that smells amazing.

You guys are using your hops I'm sure, so how do you employ them in your beers? Are you wet hopping or drying them out a few days prior to brewing? I am not a fan of wet hopped beers, so I'll need to read up curing homegrown hops for use.

Im in East yorkshire and have 8 plants in pots ready to plant out, and have the trellis work complete, if they grow succesfully this year and all goes well I will be extending the trellis and planting about 100 plants ready for next year. Its good to see others in Yorkshire have had good results from their hops. Its going to be a good project on small scale hop production :cheers:

How do lager varieties grow in this country? I'd quite like a Saaz or something, with that, an aroma hop, and cultivated yeast, I'd only need to buy malt for a 5 gallon brew which sounds amazing!

any recommendations for shops by the way, it looks like a lot of places sell the rhizome and then you plant that? how long would these take to come up?

Hi, does anybody have any rhizomes they would like to sell me? trying to buy from UK if I can.

Cheers

Gareth

Latest posts

Back