St Peters Ruby Red Ale review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday was a sad sad day........

I drank the last bottle of my Red Ruby Ale ( brew 1 )

It was good.... nay delicious.... bright shiny and clear with a wonderful easy going taste and aroma. Its a perfect colour for a pint too. deep amber to red. One of the best brews I've made and enjoyed. It was started on the 1/07/2012 and I started drinking it from the 19th, my tasting notes say of the first bottle.... " Beautifully clear red tinted amber colour good bitter taste needs another couple of weeks.... how right I was however it got a further 1 week conditioning and was from then on "BLOODY MARVELLOUS " Note on 07082012... " Gorgeous pint clear as a bell good head and lacing make MORE. "

Brew 2 of this make is still conditioning and I've got itchy fingers ( bottled on 22/08/2012 and not yet tasted at all.) The wait is getting to me....
I've never tasted an original commercial St. Peters RRA so I cannot compare it. But the home brew is one of the best beers.
BUT give it time in the bottle....

Anyone not yet tried a kit.......... your missing something get one.

I tried mine last night, the kit was started on the 25th september and then was barrelled on the 12th october. I tried a sneaky half last night and it is a pleasant beer to drink.

It is a golden red colour with a good head, definitely one I will be doing again.

I have another Wherry to start next as Wilkinsons are still selling it cheap and I couldn't resist.

Started my first beer kit today,St Peters Ruby Red. FV now full to 23 lt and lid on, does the air lock need to be in too, constantly?

Apolgies for probably a stupid question and many thanks in advance for an answer.

two schools of thoughts with beers... you use an air lock or you don't
Beer makes a lot of CO2 which lays like a blanket on top of your beer and if not disturbed will protect it, therefore just put a lid on the bucket and the excess CO2 will find its way out no problem
If you are one of the weak kneed brigade ( :oops: ) and worried about the yeast bursting out of the lid then go ahead and use an air lock no problem.
Of course if you've already got a vessel with a hole in the lid for air lock then you are better off using it.

piddledribble said:
If you are one of the weak kneed brigade ( :oops: )
One of the weak kneed here. :D

I'm a big fan of the airlock. It's the best part of kit brewing! listening to the bubbles and pops! Get one for the entertainment value :thumb:

St Peters Red is still on my list to do... It's becoming a very long list... :whistle:

An air lock is best because its a physical barrier and tops insects getting in.

With no airlock they would still get in the beer, die from asphyxiation and could contaminate the brew

Thanks for the advice chaps.
Another thing, my OG reading was 1.038, this seems low to me. Is it?
And if it is, will the ABV% be too low?

Often a low OG reading in kits is due to the kit not being mixed up properly. If your OG is lower, then yes your %ABV will be reduced. If however, you didn't mix everything up well enough in the FV then you won't have got an accurate OG reading anyway. Don't worry about it. Whatever the case, the yeaties will find the sugars and turn the whole lot into very drinkable brew. :drink:

My airlock never bubbles, even with coopers stout!!!, so its its escaping through the lid, so sorry i bought an airlock and drilled the hole in the lid :thumb:

Is there anything I can add when siphoning into the Keg that will increase the ABV% a little?

Bottled this on boxing day.... tried one bottle from warm cupboard today [new years day] and WOW, cleared well already, even unchilled, amazing taste and head holds all the way down. I will have to keep this in someone elses loft for safe keeping, til it matures :oops:

I've had the commercially produced RRA (managed to find it at Waitrose and in an ASDA in Sheffield), I finished the last RRA I did on Christmas Eve, it had been in the Corny, and I have to say it was one of the best beers I've done - apart from AG recipes for XXXB, Directors and Timothy Taylor Landlord.

I still like to put a RRA on every now and then - found a bottle yesterday that wouldn't fit in the Corny, mmm :grin:

Well down to my last six bottles :( . Been a lager and guiness man until joining the forum. I find the ruby ale very very nice indeed, moreish in fact, will brew this again. :cheers:

just about to do my first RRA . this will be the 3rd kit ive done.the hop sachet which i add before the yeast do i stir it in or just sprinkle on top. sorry if its a silly question but i dont want to ruin it.
thanks

It doesn't tell you to do it on the instructions but I stirred it in before adding the yeast but did not stir the yeast. That said mine has just been bottled I have not tasted it yet. Though it seems to have gone well. The fermentation can be quite vigorous on this one so it is worth brewing a little short to leave more room in your FV for the froth (i did 21 litres rather than the 23). Also most people leave for 2 weeks in the FV as this is a dirtier brew than some of the other kits. Mine still had what appeared to be powdered yeast floating on the top after two weeks but was definitely finished fermentation.

I didnt stir the hops, dont think it would matter either way. Its a smashing drink... enjoy.

thanks for the replies. i think i will stir them in, that way the yeast can have all the room they need.looking forward to this brew after reading all the positive comments

Back