John Bull IPA Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a complete novice home-brewer (but a black-belt bitter drinker :ugeek:) who's been humming and harring over whether to start home brewing for a while, this discussion has convinced me to go for it.

John Bull IPA will be my first home brew, with added brew enhancer and dextrose (though possibly not a full Kg of each - maybe 500g - we'll see).

Thanks all, now to buy the bits and bobs.

Welcome to the forum Brewski.
Be warned, this brewing malarkey can be highly addictive..

Thanks BruinTuns, itching to get started now!

Just remembered I have some fairly large plastic tubs with lids tucked away in the shed. I had intended to use them as plant pots but I have a feeling they might be food grade plastic. The only thing is, they used to hold animal feed of some sort so I'm not sure if I should use them.

Moo-castle Brown?

Just ordered everything I need to get this started (I'll worry about the secondary fermentation in a week or two as I'm undecided whether to use a keg or bottles at the moment):

25L Young's FV (decided against using the animal feed tubs, considered pestering the local Indian restaurants and bakeries for a suitable container but these Young's 25L screw-top FV's are only around £10 in the Tesco sale).
Airlock.
John Bull IPA kit.
Young's Beer enhancer 1Kg.
Hydrometer.
I'll pick up some dextrose (or possibly honey) in store and I'm going to scrounge some sanitiser from a wine-brewing buddy this evening. :)

Did any of you use campden tabs with this brew?

I would always use a campden tab (crushed) with any beer brew unless I'm using bottled el cheapo mineral water (17p per 2l bottle).
Campden tablets (sodium metabisulphite) neutralise the chloramines that water companies put into the tap water to stop it going 'off', and which can impart an unpleasant chemical taste to beer.

I would always use a campden tab (crushed) with any beer brew unless I'm using bottled el cheapo mineral water (17p per 2l bottle).
Campden tablets (sodium metabisulphite) neutralise the chloramines that water companies put into the tap water to stop it going 'off', and which can impart an unpleasant chemical taste to beer.

Thanks, I suspected they might be a good idea. I'll get some of those too.

How's the conditioning coming on, Bruintons?

Robert, is yours still sliding down nicely?

Well I only bottled just over a week ago so still too early to tell yet. But I'm determined to be patient. Another week indoors then out into the cold garage for at least three weeks before I try the first one. Looking forward to it :cheers:

Fair enough. It must be torture waiting but I suppose 1 week into secondary is a bit too soon to try it. :D

I picked up a few more bits and pieces this afternoon, from Wilko's this time: 1Kg brewing sugar (dextrose), crown bottle tops, syphon tube (still need a "bottle wand" thing or a short length of tube for below the tap, unless it's long enough to cut - haven't checked yet), sample jar, long stirring spoon, bottle brush.

As soon as my Starsan arrives I should be good to go (although I'm now also seriously considering using one of the animal feed tubs I mentioned earlier with an aquarium heater as a water bath for my FV, to keep the temperature constant).

How's the conditioning coming on, Bruintons?

Robert, is yours still sliding down nicely?

An absolute treat. Best beer I've brewed. It's currently topping off Christmas - and myself - an absolute treat. Cheers all.

Will be bottling this soon. How much sugar per 500ml bottle guys? Thinking about using a dark sugar.

I've been using just a fraction less than a level teaspoonful (just under 2.5g) per 500 ml bottle but up to 3g is fine if you prefer slightly more carbonation.

Thanks bruintuns, it's at 1018 at the mo and will keep an eye on that, I'll follow your measurement when I'm ready to bottle.

This has been stuck at 1016 for a week now, would like it to drop a bit more before bottling but not sure if it will?
The temp has been a constant 18, could that be a problem ?

Gently swirl the beer without taking the lid off. And if you can get it warmer, do so.

If you don't reach the expected final gravity, this may affect carbonation in the bottles if the fermentation kicks off again when you add your priming sugar. So prime on the low side if this happens.

I now use about 2g brewing sugar per 500ml, and this works for me. 2.5g also sounds fine. A lot of British home brewers seem to use about 80-85g in a 5 gallon batch, which actually works out at a little less than 2g per 500ml.

A lot of Americans and Aussies seem to use much more, upto 4g per 500ml. going by their forums. Sounds dangerous to me!

To give you an idea Tbf, mine got down to 1008 although I added quit a lot of extra sugar over the usual 1kg and got an OG of 1060.

I've been wondering why some FGs are so much lower than others. For instance my Evil Dog IPA started out at 1062 and went all the way down to 1002 so it certainly doesn't seem as if a higher OG means a higher FG. Does anyone know if there's a predictable correlation between the two readings?

1.002 doesnt sound right. Was it ok? Can be a sign of infection. Lowest I've had is 1.006.

FG, in my understanding, is affected by yeast attenuation and the fermentables used. For example, dextrose ferments out completely. Sugars from Crystal malt don't.

Thanks clibit.
I didn't taste the ED at bottling time but I don't recall any 'off' smells. You've worried me a bit though as the surface did have a sort of very thin, 'cobwebby' coating at the end. I thought that was just a by-product of the hop addition but you've made me wonder now re infection.
It was bottled exactly a month ago so has had 2 weeks in the cool. Too soon to drink but I may crack one to check it

Sorry to worry you, I really hope I'm not the bringer of bad news. It's happened to me, but I've only found out when it's been bottled and I've had gushers. This has been the first sign, and then the beer has started to go rank. They were fine when they were freshly bottled, and tasted fine.

Fingers crossed!

Latest posts

Back