syphon from bottle to bottle after fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makoholica

Reaction score
Hi All

little to start i am new to brewing and on second batch of Cider. i am currently making a strawberry cider with i will be making fizzy when bottling later, my question is

once i have bottle and the cider has cleared, is it possible to syphon from the bottle to a new bottle as not to have all the yeast at the bottom or will this just take all the fizz out and be absolutely pointless and ruin it

i know it may sound a bit stupid but having to be so careful pouring from bottle to glass and end up wasting so much.

The simplest solution is to rack your cider to a clean sanitised fv after fermentation to clear. Then rack it again prior to bottling when it is crystal clear. You will get less of a layer of sediment this way, however you may still get some disturbance depending on the type of yeast some compact better than others and how much fizz you have.

The other advantage of leaving it to settle in an fv is that it will mature. Cider needs to mature and it is best done in bulk.

Hi

Many thanks for your response, i didnt think it would be a good solution but thought i would ask, the problem i have is i only have the one bucket for fermenting then i have to bottle, i unfortunately at the moment dont have the space for anything else as basically living out of a bedroom until i move house (but thats a different story)

so working from my 25litre bucket i have to bottle afterwards, will keep your comments for further use when i have more space and equipment.

Cheers
Andrew

Back