CaraPils / Carafoam

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darcey

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello all!

Well after some impulse buying from our friends at the malt miller! I am expecting some Carapils! I like doing pale beers and generaly I use wheat to improve head so this sound like a great alternative as my last few IPAs have been abit... wheaty....

Any general advice in its use. Our US brethren appear to love the stuff but my LHBS blanked me when I mentioned it.

D

At the beginning i often used Weyermann's Carapils for almost all of my pale beers. Then i realized i don't need it - since i do step mashing, i can achieve the same result (head stability & structure) by expanding the rest at 72*C to ~60 mins, without sacrificing overall wort fermentability. The only beers i find it useful are belgian pale strongs, like Duvel or blonde, where there is large amount of plain sugar.

Some say carapils may be a substitute for decoction, but i hardly believe in such statements.

Never got any toffee flavours from carapils, just plain sweetness that ruined one of kolsch beers.

Latest posts

Back