Safale US-05 yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyd

Reaction score
I've got AG#5 currently in the FV, been there just over a week. It's an APA type ale using Safale US-05 yeast. For my previous brews, using S-04 for example, by now the yeast head would have dissipated and fermentation would be more or less complete. But with this one, I've still got a significant yeast head on top of the FV even though activity has been vigorous (to say the least) during the first few days.

I'm sure I've read elsewhere on the forum about this being typical for US-05 so I'm not too concerned, just wondered if there is anything I should do. Skim the top of the beer/just leave it until it disappears/take the SG and see where it is?

As ever, advice and experience appreciated.

Cheers

AD

Don't worry about it. S-05 has been known to ferment to a very low gravity so it may be that it is still going along.

Keep an eye on the gravity and use the same rules as you would for any other yeast. When the gravity is stable give it another 24-48 hours and then move onto the next stage.

I'd decided to brew a few lighter ales for my next batches and put my order in and got the 05 instead of my usual 04 :idea:

The first brew was almost volcanic :eek: got quite a surprise, not had that before with 04 or Nottingham :!: but the brews have done extremely well and I'm happy with the results :thumb:

This yeast changed around 2007/2008 and now holds krausen past fermentation. I drop temp to 2 - 3 degrees after 10 days. After three days the slimy krausen is still present, suspended yeast seems to drop ok but the krausen persists. No probs just the nature of the beast.

Cheers,

Screwy

Thanks all, you've pretty much confirmed what I expected but as always useful to tap into the knowledge base on here.

I read a tip on here,to sink the krausen give the FV a gentle shake so the wort laps over the edge of the krausen,as long as fermentation has finished,this sinks the cap In a couple of days .It works for me

Latest posts

Back