Holland & Barrett Malt Extract for Starters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use it for brewing as an occasional addition to a kit. I've also used it for an extract brew. I think its the same as LME which is sold specifically for brewing.
A word of caution however. I think H&B sell two sorts of ME; their own brand (which I use) and another one which contains barley syrup. Make sure you buy the right one (used to be �£2,69 per 454g/1lb jar).

I use it for brewing as an occasional addition to a kit. I've also used it for an extract brew. I think its the same as LME which is sold specifically for brewing.
A word of caution however. I think H&B sell two sorts of ME; their own brand (which I use) and another one which contains barley syrup. Make sure you buy the right one (used to be ��£2,69 per 454g/1lb jar).
I bought some Holland /barret Malt extract -454gm jars- and it says on the jar MALT EXTRACT -MADE FROM ENGLISH BARLEY - Is this stuff useless and should be consigned to the bin???

Is barely syrup somehow different from LME? Seeing as though LME is a syrupy like liquid thats made from barley. I'm a bit confused tbh :confused:
Me too mate, which is why this three interests me

I have been using the H and B extract (���£2.69) 454 grm jars and infact have just purchased some more today. Have used it alongside dry malt extract and or beer enhancer in my extract brews and have never had a nasty brew, it's fine and until i do get a duff brew i will carry on:thumb:

001.jpg

I bought some Holland /barret Malt extract -454gm jars- and it says on the jar MALT EXTRACT -MADE FROM ENGLISH BARLEY - Is this stuff useless and should be consigned to the bin???
Robin, see my prior reply above.
It's fine to use:thumb:

Robin, see my prior reply above.
It's fine to use:thumb:
Thanks Chub...I was having a mild heart attack
It seems you follow the same guy as me on you tube!!
I just did my first Ag but doubled things up....result..
The yeast was bonkers and I ended up about 2 L short
Yet to taste things tho..we will see

Thanks Chub...I was having a mild heart attack
It seems you follow the same guy as me on you tube!!
I just did my first Ag but doubled things up....result..
The yeast was bonkers and I ended up about 2 L short
Yet to taste things tho..we will see
Not yet done an AG but my extract brews have been fine. There was some talk on here about H/B malt and i think this one was derided! might be wrong though.
As i said until i get a duffun i will carry on:mrgreen:

I have said earlier in the thread that I have used H&B liquid malt extract and its fine for brewing. I have read on here others say they also use it, and all comments are positive. I haven't seen anyone say its no good.
As far as 'barley syrup' is concerned my understanding is that it is not the same as malt extract (from malted barley) and is not suitable for brewing. However if I am wrong perhaps someone out there could advise to the contrary but based on fact rather than rumour. Until then I won't use anything that contains 'barley syrup' for brewing.

I have said earlier in the thread that I have used H&B liquid malt extract and its fine for brewing. I have read on here others say they also use it, and all comments are positive. I haven't seen anyone say its no good.
As far as 'barley syrup' is concerned my understanding is that it is not the same as malt extract (from malted barley) and is not suitable for brewing. However if I am wrong perhaps someone out there could advise to the contrary but based on fact rather than rumour. Until then I won't use anything that contains 'barley syrup' for brewing.

At theend of the day I wont be using it for brewing anyway, just starters. Which I think it will be perfectly fine for

Latest posts

Back