Blueberry red grape wow

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tau

Landlord.
Reaction score
Wanted 3 ltrs of grape, but only had two so bought the blueberry which probably will only add a subtle flavour to the wine.

2 ltrs of asda fresh red grape
1 ltr of asda blueberry

in total 415g sugar

Added 700g of sugar, 1 tsp of nutrient and pectolase, 1.5 tsp of youngs super yeast. 1 tea bag tea and 2 redbush bags tea.

Has started fermenting, even though temp' is 17.4c where it is and yeast has been opened for over 6 months in dry room.

Is it the del Simon cartons, or the bottles from Asda? Sounds interesting!

I used the former, but RGC too and it's lovely but I'm dying to try a brew just with supermarket juices so may start one this weekend.

Used the asda bottles, 3 for £3, didn't have any del simon, noticed the red grape was really dark compared to some. Hoping the redbush will help improve the flavour and keep it's dark colour as no camden will be used.

What's the reason for redbush and no Camden?

Has the tea got some sort of antibacterial qualities, or are you not planning on storing this one very long perhaps

What's the reason for redbush and no Camden?

Has the tea got some sort of antibacterial qualities, or are you not planning on storing this one very long perhaps

The rooibos wood has preservative properties, 50 higher in anioxidants which is the main reason for use instead and with tea, so need for the camden using clean grape source. They also add a rich flavoured low tannin that complements the red wine. I only experiemented after the Lady with green mentioned it and a light blub lit up over my head, then found a wine company that use it in their reds and get great reviews for it.

Last night I just used a small glass sample cab' sav' from the dregs of the red I made with it, already had drunk a bottle of white and it held it's flavour & dryness more than the normal cab' sav' without the rebush.

Try it you'll be surprised :thumb:

The antioxidating properities is one of the reasons camdens are used prior to bottling.

great stuff, my mates Mrs is trying to avoid preservatives so I'll try the above recipe and see how she (and me) get on :thumb:

I'll grab a box of redbush teabags at Asda's when I'm getting the juices next week

Let me know what it turns out like, and if you are topping up with water or juice when it calms down

@tau I was in Asda last night so I grabbed some of this tea and the grape/blueberry juice as it sounds interesting.

I chucked it on tonight and have a question if that's ok.

so, 3L juice, plus the bit of boiling water for the teabags and dissolving the sugar, I've done my first ever 'brew in a DJ' and left it well below shoulder (my last WOW in the small fermenting bucket went crackers)..

I forgot to take an initial SG reading,but will the yeast cope with the high initial SG ? at 3/4 of a DJ full, but containing all the juice and sugar it must be pretty high?

OG doesn't matter as long as the yeast can handle the final fg abv. 3/4 full doesn't matter as it wont ferment all that before being topped up a little after 5/6 days.

it's a feisty one!

Its my first ever brew in a Demijohn, I've only ever used fermenting buckets previously..

Bubbled away fine, nothing crazy - seemed to have slowed down so after 6 days I topped it up with mineral water to the neck. It blew straight through the airlock :doh:

Swapped with a clean one, and it's still bubbling away like mad, but my airlock seems safe now after 8 days.

Smells amazing, had a whiff when I swapped the airlock

Tested sg on Sunday was at 0.993, tasted good even though hasn't finshed or matured yet. It's holding its red colour :) Hoping it will finish later today as I need to get it in bottles by Friday or Saturday.

Tested sg on Sunday was at 0.993, tasted good even though hasn't finshed or matured yet. It's holding its red colour :) Hoping it will finish later today as I need to get it in bottles by Friday or Saturday.

Racked mine today, no movement in the airlock finally after 15 days. Not adding any stabilizer, as my tub contains camden and I'm trying to avoid it completely on this batch.

Degassed, will let it clear naturally. Might add finings if its still not crystal when I come to to the second batch next week (all RGJ, no Blueberry)

Initial colour = dark rose
initial taste = fruity, but not quite as nice as the similar one I made but using grape concentrate as well as x3L juice per DJ
Final SG = 0.988 so super dry. Totally forgot to take initial SG, you didnt happen to did you @tau ?

I left for 3 days in a warmer environment and then racked and added finings. Haven't tasted since colour still holding.

Cracked open an early bottle of this - for a first red quite impressed. A little too sweet , but light and fruity and Beaujolais like . Going to leave it now until summer and try again [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cracked open an early bottle of this - for a first red quite impressed. A little too sweet , but light and fruity and Beaujolais like . Going to leave it now until summer and try again [emoji106]

How do you intend to leave your brew for so long ?

Did you stop it early or let ferment out? Let mine ferment out. Colour has held you're right does taste a little Beaujolais like. I've let things slip over past week or two and didn't bottle. Need to rack & add finings for the 3 bottle asda grape, also held colour bit darker than the blueberry one. Still recovering from new years :grin:

Did you stop it early or let ferment out? Let mine ferment out. Colour has held you're right does taste a little Beaujolais like. I've let things slip over past week or two and didn't bottle. Need to rack & add finings for the 3 bottle asda grape, also held colour bit darker than the blueberry one. Still recovering from new years :grin:

Hi Tau - I stopped early , without checking notes think it was about 0.994. Would let it go a little further next time though, although not grumbling as it tastes good [emoji106]

Latest posts

Back