Pliny the Elder

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a nice drink. I read somewhere that you can't perceive bitterness much over 100IBUs, though I can't vouch for it.

I just got the BYO book and there is a recipe for pliny the elder yeah loads of hops but I gotta try it,gonna do a 10litre batch as they recommend drinking it fresh,its on my brewing list....looked online to buy some here no chance its one of those they have created a buzz about it but really difficult to source cheers lagerlad

I just got the BYO book and there is a recipe for pliny the elder yeah loads of hops but I gotta try it,gonna do a 10litre batch as they recommend drinking it fresh,its on my brewing list....looked online to buy some here no chance its one of those they have created a buzz about it but really difficult to source cheers lagerlad

If you want to end up 10l 1 would go for a 12-13l batch as your lose loads to hop absorption. I recently made 12l of supper hoppy ipa and only ended with 10l in the bottling bucket . Shame as it tasty..

Im going for. a 5 gallon brew. Ordered everything I need for Geterbrewed.
Will 1 pack of Wyeast 1056 be enough do you think or will I need to make a starter, which I actually have never done before.
Thx

All I can add is you'll need to start with RO water. Then build from there.

Messed up
Lost a lot due to evaporation and only ended up with 3 bloody gallon. I'm gutted. maybe down to my new wide boiler plus a lot of hop matter and lost wort.
GUTTED.
OG came in at 1.080
This will change my dry hop measurements now won't it?

believe it or not 30 litres
Might have been a galloon waste in bottom of boiler

believe it or not 30 litres
Might have been a galloon waste in bottom of boiler

did you do a 90 min boil ? Should have lost around 6.5 L in the boil, with 4.5 L left in the kettle you'd have 19L left which is just over 4 gallons. Your pre boil should have been closer to 35L for a 90 min boil I reckon.

A gallon also sounds a lot, I just chuck the lot in the fermentor :D

yeah was 90 min boil. Didn't want to add a load of hop sludge to ferm.
Should I alter dry hop weights now you. think,

So that tells you that either your efficiency was good or you didn't sparge long enough. It helps to measure your pre boil gravity so if you're still high, you can sparge a tad more.
But, after the boil finishes, and your gravity is high like that, you can add water to it to hit your goal either by volume or by gravity. The same can be true the opposite way. If you seem to sparge too much or your efficiency is low, you can extend the boil. Just be careful about your late hop additions. That's why software is super nice when brewing. You can predict you pre boil gravity and then determine your boil time being able to re adjust your hop additions.

Just done the first dry hop additions, took a reading of 1.022 so its ticking along nicely.
Tasted absolutely mind blowing and even before the dry hops.
Fingers crossed it all works out. Just have to et the carbonation correct on 3 gallons

Back