Learning lessons fast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElvisIsBeer

Reaction score
No. 1 - bottling too soon can result in an excitable bottle of froth.

No. 2 - shifting just primed and filled bottles into the garage in February can result in a flat brew.

But when you get it right. :thumb:

So far 90% success. :whistle:

Sorry, what I meant was I primed the bottles.....and (no idea why) shoved them directly in the mancave. Very cold spot. No carbonation.

Brought them back in.....but looks not too promising. Might the yeast wake up given time?

And, of course, you were right. It turned out fine, the beer carbonated perfectly. It then returned to the mancave. It was good beer.

Further learning points:

3. When building a stock - make sure you have enough variety in terms of type of beer, flavour and strength. I made the neck end of 90 pints of strong bitter in two simultaneous batches. All good stuff - but what if I fancied a pale ale tonight....? :doh:

4. Patience and elapsed time fixes a lot of things.

3. When building a stock - make sure you have enough variety in terms of type of beer, flavour and strength. I made the neck end of 90 pints of strong bitter in two simultaneous batches. All good stuff - but what if I fancied a pale ale tonight....? :doh:

I've made that mistake a couple of times. Last autumn I had 3 malty beers on the go, and spent about a month hankering for a hoppy beer. At the moment I have 2 hoppy beers on the go and have been craving a plainer crisper beer. Should have it right this time - ingredients for a real ale style golden ale and a NEIPA ahould be arriving today!

And, of course, you were right. It turned out fine, the beer carbonated perfectly. It then returned to the mancave. It was good beer.

Further learning points:

Aye i learned! thats why i make 10l batches of all sorts...not only for variety but if the brew goes bad its better to lose 10l's instead of 23l plus....plus i could drink 23l my sel.:doh:
Bri

Further learning point:

Yeast is an amazing thing, isn't it?

I tested my dark ale the other day, didn't impress me 100% - it was canny enough, just not what I had hoped to impress and please my dad with. Quote from Thursday "1.011 today. Not as 'plummy' as I'd hoped....but not bad. Test again on Saturday. Maybe bottle at the weekend."

Tested today 1.009 (about 6%) and dark toffee delight. :thumb:

Further learning points:

Number 3 - totally agree.

I alternate between light and dark beers, ipas, wheat, dubble quads ris an saisons with more lighter beers in the summer and more darker ones in the winter. I usually have a couple of beers to choose from but when you can have a 5 beer session with each beer being different that is amazing.

xmas time I already have 3 different darker beers put aside so i'll be brewing a hoppy and a wheat beer late oct/early nov for when I need a break from rich xmas food and drink.

much a I love my beers I'd not be keen drinking 40 or the same in a row. Not even 40 bengali's from 'spoons. :lol:

Latest posts

Back