how many pints.....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 130 various pints and near 80 330mls of Belgian styles, with 50 330mls of Imperial Stout to bottle on Friday. theres never nothing in the brewfridge since I got it.

I got a 40 pints keg of London pride I just started to drink 2 pints so far
then I have a 40 pints keg of bass which is ageing
then I have 40 pints of john bull best bitter ageing also
and last 40 pints of john bull in the fv
tomorrow I will also have in a fv a tetleys bitter
well all this should keep me going for a bit

I took a break in the summer as at the moment I can only control the temperature upwards, not down. It has been winter, so I've always had a batch in the fv to build up stock, usually a 23L batch give or take. I probably have about 90 pints of drinkable stock at the moment, another 40 or so of beer which fermented too hot and which will probably end up down the drain but I'm waiting just in case it comes good (now you know why I only ferement in winter), plus maybe 10 bottles of wine, plus three demijohns of honey-based things maturing. However, I've just had an offer accepted on a house with enough space for a brew fridge, so hopefully that will go to plan and I'll be able to brew all year round soon.

I took a break in the summer as at the moment I can only control the temperature upwards, not down. It has been winter, so I've always had a batch in the fv to build up stock, usually a 23L batch give or take. I probably have about 90 pints of drinkable stock at the moment, another 40 or so of beer which fermented too hot and which will probably end up down the drain but I'm waiting just in case it comes good (now you know why I only ferement in winter), plus maybe 10 bottles of wine, plus three demijohns of honey-based things maturing. However, I've just had an offer accepted on a house with enough space for a brew fridge, so hopefully that will go to plan and I'll be able to brew all year round soon.
Im in the process of moving, its a nightmare, ive got a Golden Rocket kit on and a Cwtch waiting, no Biab for the foreseeable future unfortunately

100 odd bottles, if I could stick to a two week roll over I'd get it a lot higher but then I have to get creative with how and where I store them without SWMBO chucking teddy out of the cot.

At the moment I have ...

o 120 pints (40 each of Bitter, Mild and Light) on the shelves in bottles,

o 40 pints (SMASH with Citra) in a PB, and,

o 80 pints (40 pints each of SMASH with Cascade and Vienna Lager) fermenting.

It takes considerable planning to reach and maintain "critical mass" ... :thumb:

... and considerable self-control to stay sober enough to carry out the plan! :whistle:

I'm starting out, and a deep, abiding thirst means that, a couple of months on from my first brew, I have a single bottle on the shelf.......

The first 40 pints have been necked (35 were pretty great, and 5 were an experience). The best thing was when my Dad rang one night to tell me that the two bottles of bitter I'd given him were spot on. They were too.

Right now I have:

(1) 20 pts - Cascade tweaked Cerveza in the mancave, settling. It was super-cloudy but is clearing up. I plan to bottle at the weekend, bring indoors (I've requisitioned a cupboard in the kitchen without SWMBO really minding). Hopefully that process will clarify the beer, but leave enough yeast to enable bottle carbing when I bring it indoors. Once carbed, it'll be back in the mancave to wait until BBQ time.

(2) 20 pints of Coopers Aussie Pale Ale in my small FV. Planning to rack it into another vessel, dump it in the mancave for a week (in interest of clarity), and then bottle it up, bring indoors, carb, and return to mancave for conditioning.

(3) 40 pints of a heavily modified Brewbuddy Bitter kit. I chucked in an additional can of LME, and a cocktail of kitchen-sourced fermentables (golden & maple syrups), and some medium DME. It smells good.

At the weekend I'll rack into another bucket and leave in the mancave for a week or 2. I intend to bottle all of it, bring it inside to warm and carb up. After that it'll be back in the garage.

Just checking - does that all sound sensible in terms of process, or should I just bottle from the FV, prime and store indoors for a fortnight, then dump in the garage?

Naturally, as soon as the FV's are freed up, another one can get started. I'm deeply attracted by the prospect of a Coopers Stout, with some espresso and black treacle mixed in. I'm also going to do a Coopers Aussie Lager.

I aim to always have a choice of 5 different beers ready to drink (ie around the 3-month mark in bottle, except for IPAs). This means having a rolling stock of between 200 and 260 full bottles, a third of which is conditioning. (Then there's about 30 bottles of cider and 30 of wine, too)

I've taken over all the cupboard space in the Utility Room for storage. What was in those previously has gone onto additional Screwfix shelving units in the garage. Which is also handy for the 5 plastic tubs of various types of empty bottles!

A bit low at the moment. I have about 36 bottles of brown ale and about 12 pints of treacle stout, and that's it. Nothing fermenting ATM.

Actually my consumption was getting a bit out of hand last year so I decided to cut back to government recommendations, well the old ones at any rate. Never realised how hard it would be to keep it down to 21 units a week! Can't believe how long a brew is lasting now - I made the treacle stout last December!

Been trying to keep things rolling but need to up the ante on the bottled stock now.

For the kegs I currently have 40 pints fermenting, another 40 pints conditioning and another 40 that I've just started drinking. About 30 500ml bottles as well. So call it 146 pints total.

Add to that another 12 bottles of wine being created + another 20 maturing but more or less ready to drink now.

........... I decided to cut back to government recommendations, well the old ones at any rate. ...............

How could we ever live without them? :doh:

Personally, I follow Government recommendations to the letter, heed every Daily Mail scare story and maintain a strict regime of celibacy, teetotalism and regular exercise; combined with a well balanced diet. :thumb: :thumb:

I almost invented the phrase "My body is a temple." ... :thumb:

... and I discovered at a very early age that telling whopping great lies helped to keep other people happy. :whistle: :whistle:

Im in the process of moving, its a nightmare, ive got a Golden Rocket kit on and a Cwtch waiting, no Biab for the foreseeable future unfortunately

Tell me about it. I've got a John Bull IPA and a WineBuddy kit in the Tesco clearance for some pot-noodle brewing if needs be. We're trying to hurry things up so we can move in before baby #2 arrives. I've got these nightmare visions of things getting delayed and having to move house with a newborn. Still, we've overbudgeted for unforseen expenses and with a bit of luck they won't materialise and I can syphon some cash off to buy some brewing equipment. Incidentally, while house-hunting we viewed one place and I was surprised to see that the outbuilding was set up as a very nice all-grain home brewery, with water, electricity, the lot. It was perfect, but SWMBO was more concerned with things like "not enough room for our stuff", and "the bathroom is on the ground floor and the wrong side of the house", and other such trivialities. I was never going to win that argument. Still, the place we've got has just had a LHBS opened up a few doors down.

I like to have a range of different styles on the go, so I have 4 King Kegs that are always in use. So anywhere between 80 and 160 pints at a time are ready for drinking. Right now I have about 100 pints.

Jas

Latest posts

Back