Tesco has apologised for any offence from a beer advertisement

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Vicar and broadcaster, the Reverend Richard Coles, said the advert was "extraordinarily and unnecessarily ignorant".
Some choose to mark the day by fasting, which can include abstaining from eating meat or drinking alcohol.

Is that all these people have to worry about, the mind boggles.

_95633257_tescoad.jpg

Tesco has apologised for any offence from a beer advertisement that claimed "Good Friday just got better".

The ad ran in some newspapers to promote "great offers on beer and cider" in the run-up to Easter.

The supermarket said it would not run the ad again after it attracted criticism from some religious figures.

Vicar and broadcaster, the Reverend Richard Coles, said the advert was "extraordinarily and unnecessarily ignorant".

Good Friday is when Christians commemorate the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. Some choose to mark the day by fasting, which can include abstaining from eating meat or drinking alcohol.

There is some dispute about why it is called "good", with some suggesting the day is "good" in that it is holy, and others that the phrase is a corruption of "God's Friday".

Why is Good Friday called Good Friday?

A Tesco spokesperson told the BBC: "We know that Easter is an important time of the year for our customers.

"It is never our intention to offend and we are sorry if any has been caused by this advert."

Tesco "got it badly wrong" with the "crass" advert, Michael Wakelin, from the faculty of divinity at Cambridge University, told BBC 5 live.

It was also a "decidedly poor way of treating such a holy day", said Mr Wakelin, a former head of BBC religious programmes.

"I'm sure there was no attempt to offend, I'm sure that wasn't in their mind.

"It is just religious illiteracy; ignorance if you like, around what religious people hold dear, and that is my main concern," he added.

Mr Coles said on Twitter that the advert "causes unnecessary offence to many. It didn't need to."

However, other Twitter users felt the advert was not offensive.

"Like it or not the Easter is also a secular holiday as well as a religious one. Most are travelling to families rather than to church," one user wrote.

It comes after Cadbury and the National Trust were criticised for apparently dropping the word Easter from their egg hunts.

Ha ! That sums it up mate.
I may complain to Tesco that I'm offended they removed it !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How funny would it be if enough customers complained about its removal that they posted it again :lol:

I would like to reply to this thread but for fear of offending anybody's, religious, political, gender specific, spiritual, moral,ethical or holistic beliefs I cannot do so in all good conscience.

Jesus wept. What's the world coming too.

John 11:35.

As a Christian I can say that Christians are the most persecuted people in the modern world. We dont even hear about it in the news any more because it is so widespread. In Muslim countries Christians are second class citizens and being murdered is common place. It takes a big event like the IS bombing of Egyptian churches recently to make the news but 10,000's of Christians are killed every year year for their religion.

People wouldnt dream of using a Muslim festival for something like this, they know what the consequences would be, but Christians are seen as fair game.

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2017/01/01/report-90000-christians-killed-faith-2016/

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/0...ted-group-in-world-for-second-year-study.html

People wouldnt dream of using a Muslim festival for something like this, they know what the consequences would be, but Christians are seen as fair game.

I would imagine the majority of Christians in this country actually couldn't care less about the label they were given at birth and would feel the same about the advert.

When was the last time anyone here set foot in a Church other than at a wedding, funeral or your kids nativity play?

I would imagine the majority of Christians in this country actually couldn't care less about the label they were given at birth.

When was the last time anyone here set foot in a Church other than at a wedding, funeral or your kids nativity play?

Youre not a Christian by being labelled one at birth.

Youre not a Christian by being labelled one at birth.

I was Christened i have always thought of myself as a Christian though i have never set foot in a church for any other reason than the ones mentioned above and i am not offended by the advert.

Christian

ˈkrɪstʃ(ə)n,ˈkrɪstɪən/

adjective

relating to or professing Christianity or its teachings.

noun

a person who has received Christian baptism or is a believer in Christianity.

Until somebody said at work it was "good friday" I didn't even realise. I would guess that advertising cheap beer in papers like the sun probably isn't aimed at devout christians anyway.

I was Christened i have always thought of myself as a Christian though i have never set foot in a church for any other reason than the ones mentioned above and i am not offended by the advert.

Im not really bothered by an advert from an organisation I wouldnt expect to have any Christian values. You become a Christian by accepting Jesus as your personal saviour and God, not by being baptised as a baby.

Im not really bothered by an advert from an organisation I wouldnt expect to have any Christian values. You become a Christian by accepting Jesus as your personal saviour and God, not by being baptised as a baby.

Aren't we missing the essence of the original post ?
It's all about offence and the extremes of political correctness in this crazy non sensical climate.

Each to their own and never question another persons faith or opinion.

It's a free world I thought.

I'm a Christian and go to church. My choice - and don't particularly care if you do or don't.

Someone will likely now take offence that sensical is not yet an official word in the English language [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without getting too heavy about this there are also a lot of people who may have been christened, do not follow the faith AND wouldn't mind a drink on Good Friday.

Did it ever occur that Tesco may just have been pandering to this vast MAJORITY of people in the country. It is the people in a Country that are Christian, not the country itself and most of those have voted with their feet not to be practicing Christians.

You as a practicing Christian might answer me this; will it spoil your day if I buy some beer tomorrow, What would be the harm or what is indicative of a non christian value about that? Once you accept that this is not banned by the religion or forbidden in the bible than it would seem that Tesco's advert was not so bad after all as they are simply appealing to the masses!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back