Tesco has apologised for any offence from a beer advertisement

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Without getting too heavy about this there are also a lot of people who may have been christened, do not follow the faith AND wouldn't mind a drink on Good Friday.

Did it ever occur that Tesco may just have been pandering to this vast MAJORITY of people in the country. It is the people in a Country that are Christian, not the country itself and most of those have voted with their feet not to be practicing Christians.

You as a practicing Christian might answer me this; will it spoil your day if I buy some beer tomorrow, What would be the harm or what is indicative of a non christian value about that? Once you accept that this is not banned by the religion or forbidden in the bible than it would seem that Tesco's advert was not so bad after all as they are simply appealing to the masses!

I might even do so myself and said I wasnt really bothered by the advert. I am a practising Christian and a practising home brewer, although probably drink pretty much the least of anyone on here but I do enjoy my beer. I've never expected anyone to live by my standards and I wouldnt live by someone elses and its not for me to judge them. Im not a drunk any more but I used to be though and probably drink less than a tenth of what I used to before I was a Christian although part of that is age. enjoy it in moderation and all that.

When all said and done everyone has lost sight of the fact that Easter ( just like Christmas ) is a religious holiday, I was christened but i'm far from a practicing christian, however, i still respect the virtues of my religion and others too and therefore do find it a bit out of taste when corporations jump on the 'day off work so get p!ssed' band wagon.
For the record, I couldn't really give a rats **** about Tesco's beer prices this Easter as I home brew and only buy craft beer as a treat, they can take their 18 bottles of bud for a tenner and shove it up their ****.

The majority over ruled yet again. The reverned was questioned afterwards about his stash of 4 for a fiver of 'old toms' from asda

I no longer go to church with any kind of regularity, but I did do almost enough Bible School to become a minister, was a Deacon and preached a number of times in our Church. It seems some religious "personalities" have fallen for the trap of self-righteousness, which is no righteousness at all. The Bible actually warns us not to take offense, so while it is common with the "politically correct," it is no way for a Christian to act.

Yes, it is disrespectful - but getting outraged and protesting just brings more attention to it and encourages more advertisers to do the same I bet a lot more people see the ad and buy beer thanks to the ban.

Hi!
@Ale - how do you square an openly homosexual vicar criticising the Tesco advert as offensive?
I must add that I, in no way, wish to criticise anyone's lifestyle choices - heaven knows, my lifestyle is open to widespread criticism.
However, as a Christian, you must be aware that the Bible condemns homosexuality?
PS perhaps "heaven knows" was an unfortunate choice of phrase.
PPS I have my own reservations about the Tesco ad - I'm not offended by it, but it is somewhat insensitive.

...that would have been misconstrued that getting a load of cheap booze would be greater than the already good Friday. Except if it was on any other Friday during the year.
It's strange how there's no outrage from September onwards every year when every other advert is for "Christmas" and they're all full of cheap booze. ..a visiting alien would be convinced that sometime in December was the western part of Earth's getting arseholed festival.

....you can add gluttony to that as well!
Also didn't one supermarket run an add saying they "make" Christmas with their best whatever it was they were flogging. ...I thought Jesus birthday made Christmas. ..probably Christmas was completely **** before everyone rushed out to buy endless piles of useless **** and food that goes in the bin..and enough cheap whisky,vodka or gin to kill yourself 3 times by new years Eve.

...that would have been misconstrued that getting a load of cheap booze would be greater than the already good Friday. Except if it was on any other Friday during the year.
It's strange how there's no outrage from September onwards every year when every other advert is for "Christmas" and they're all full of cheap booze. ..a visiting alien would be convinced that sometime in December was the western part of Earth's getting arseholed festival.

You mean it's not?

I remember when I was young one year the breweries went on strike before Christmas - I think the average Australian would have been less upset by the end of the world!

I no longer go to church with any kind of regularity, but I did do almost enough Bible School to become a minister, was a Deacon and preached a number of times in our Church. It seems some religious "personalities" have fallen for the trap of self-righteousness, which is no righteousness at all. The Bible actually warns us not to take offense, so while it is common with the "politically correct," it is no way for a Christian to act.

Yes, it is disrespectful - but getting outraged and protesting just brings more attention to it and encourages more advertisers to do the same I bet a lot more people see the ad and buy beer thanks to the ban.

I don't understand how this is disrespectful at all! As previously stated the vast majority of the country are not so religious that they are offended by a supermarket trading and supplying them with a commodity that they want.

Disrespectful suggests that EVERYONe has to take note of the religious aspects of a holiday and behave according to an unwritten code of behaviour favoured by those that are followers. Whilst I do not disrespect religion (much) I do reserve the right to perform perfectly normal activities on a BANK holiday allowed by the government without the disapproval of a minority of zealots.
I know that there are not many on here that are fanatical about the advert but there are always a few that will try to dictate to the many!

I don't understand how this is disrespectful at all! As previously stated the vast majority of the country are not so religious that they are offended by a supermarket trading and supplying them with a commodity that they want.

Disrespectful suggests that EVERYONe has to take note of the religious aspects of a holiday and behave according to an unwritten code of behaviour favoured by those that are followers. Whilst I do not disrespect religion (much) I do reserve the right to perform perfectly normal activities on a BANK holiday allowed by the government without the disapproval of a minority of zealots.
I know that there are not many on here that are fanatical about the advert but there are always a few that will try to dictate to the many!

- And you are proud to be one of those few, huh?

That you cannot understand that it is disrespectful to knock another's beliefs says it all. I'm afraid I do not subscribe to modern "political correctness" that supports bigotry against some groups while pretending to oppose it against others. It is not necessary to share someone's beliefs to show a little respect - it's called civility, something GB was once renowned for but seems to have forgotten.

Hi!
@Ale - how do you square an openly homosexual vicar criticising the Tesco advert as offensive?
I must add that I, in no way, wish to criticise anyone's lifestyle choices - heaven knows, my lifestyle is open to widespread criticism.
However, as a Christian, you must be aware that the Bible condemns homosexuality?
PS perhaps "heaven knows" was an unfortunate choice of phrase.
PPS I have my own reservations about the Tesco ad - I'm not offended by it, but it is somewhat insensitive.

My personal belief is that homosexuality is sin, but so is judging others, so I dont judge it. Its between them and God. I also never expect anyone who is not a Christian to live by Christian principles and to be honest there would be no point other than being a good person by human standards. One of the main aspects of Christianity is that we are all sinners (sin being something that separates us from God) and that Jesus died to pay the price for that sin so we dont have to...on Good Friday, celebrated today, as it happens.

I would imagine the majority of Christians in this country actually couldn't care less about the label they were given at birth and would feel the same about the advert.

When was the last time anyone here set foot in a Church other than at a wedding, funeral or your kids nativity play?

SWMBO and the kids go to mass every week without fail and I go when I'm not working. do it for my own reasons more for solace than anything else but do I take offense to stupid advertising....No although alot of people out there do things for their own personal gain but in my eyes PC has just gone too far as we are all told too mind our Ps&Qs for the fear offending and for the respect of other beliefs.Each to their own and get on with your life.
Geez there are so many bull****ters out there making life so bloody difficult for everyone else and they get away with it.
What a pile of bull****😇

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Until somebody said at work it was "good friday" I didn't even realise. I would guess that advertising cheap beer in papers like the sun probably isn't aimed at devout christians anyway.
Come to the Emerald Isle where they still close pubs on Good Friday but from next year it will all change.

- And you are proud to be one of those few, huh?

That you cannot understand that it is disrespectful to knock another's beliefs says it all. I'm afraid I do not subscribe to modern "political correctness" that supports bigotry against some groups while pretending to oppose it against others. It is not necessary to share someone's beliefs to show a little respect - it's called civility, something GB was once renowned for but seems to have forgotten.

This is the part that I genuinely cannot understand, how it is disrespectful to advertise beer for sale to the MAJORITY of the country whilst having to figure if it is likely to upset a FEW zealots. It is not anti religious, stopping worship or calling anyone's beliefs into question to advertise ale for sale on Good Friday, which is not mentioned in teh bible as Good so where is the harm in promoting a good time on Good friday? it's a bit like saying have a great Christmas day or is that not allowed now either?

BTW I think you will find that I am one of the many who want to live and let live, I am not one of the few telling others what they can and cannot do on a good friday!

Can Tesco apologise to me for the outrageous prices they charge and the over abundance of Tesco Express.
+1 on that.
Popped to the main Tesco store to check the new Ale additions and walked back out again as I can go sit in spoons and drink craft ale for more or less the same price the robbing gits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back