Fv not air-tight

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamthefly

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm using my new big white plastic bucket fv and the fermentation is foamy, but there are no bubbles from my airlock and there is a faint, delicious smelll from around the lid. It's that OK?

Its just sitting in my upstairs landing at ambient temp and so it might suck air in when it cooks and the air inside shrinks and fermentation slows down.
That said it mixed with lots of air when it was poured in there.

Also I like watching the airlock bubble.

Cheers

Am I just as well to not bother with the airlock and seal the hole?
FWIW.Inever had an airlock in the bucket lid for donkeys years and only recently in the last few years drilled it out for one,for me its a takes your choice thing.all the years ive brewed ive only had one bad brew.my bucket is retired now as I have the fast ferment and that don't bloody bubble either:thumb:

If you think your lid is leaking but really, really really like to see bubbles from your airlock, remove lid then place four strips of cling film over the FV rim and then put on lid as normal.
Having done that you will be surprised at how much CO2 was leaking between lid/FV and bypassing the airlock. :-?

I had a FV that didn't seal 100% and the airlock didn't show signs of fermentation i sorted it by putting a heavy weight in the centre of the lid.

Back