Should older drivers be retested or have a competency assessment?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should older drivers be retested or have a competency assessment?

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
There are two separate issues here; Are you fit enough medically to drive and secondly do you have the knowledge ,awareness and experience to keep driving.

The first is mandatory at 70 and all drivers will be tested medically at that age.

At the end of the day accidents CAN be prevented, i'm 37 and I wouldn't dream of driving like a dick on sheet ice now but that didn't stop me from doing just that and turning a saxo on its roof when I was 21 because I thought I was cool. As you grow older you become more rational, better behaved and the prize...less insurance to pay for. Going back to my last post, the Granddad who died on the ring road, the crash didn't kill him, the heart attack did. The old girl who slammed in to the back of me, I thought she was gonna have a heart attack, in my mind she wasn't and isn't fit to be on the road but there's no test to determine that and if there was then the granddad who died on the ring road would still be around. A simple eye test at the age of 70 conducted by the police or DVLA, its a no brainer, it would and could have saved life's.

There are two separate issues here; Are you fit enough medically to drive and secondly do you have the knowledge ,awareness and experience to keep driving.

The first is mandatory at 70 and all drivers will be tested medically at that age.

A medical only shows the driver is fit enough to drive and even then a lot of the medical i imagine is by way of question/answer and it doesn't show the person can drive safely, i am sure we have all seen lame people with walking sticks struggling to get in their cars if they are that shaky on their legs how much time /distance would be added in an emergency stop situation.

A medical only shows the driver is fit enough to drive not that he can drive safely, i am sure we have all seen lame people with walking sticks struggling to get in their cars if they are that shaky on their legs how much time /distance would be added in an emergency stop situation.

That is not really a fair assumption that anyone with a physical disability is also dull of mind, that way lies disability discrimination and looking down on anyone with a wheelchair.. Forget the sticks the person may well be a CEO of a big company for all you know!

I have searched and cannot find anything on having to have a full medical when you apply for a licence at 70 it looks like you fill a form in and tell them your eyesight and health are good enough to allow you to drive safely, i wonder how many have bent the truth to keep their licence.

The Law, and the DVLA

It’s always the driver’s responsibility to make sure they’re safe. It’s up to you to ensure you are driving within your capabilities and that your car is safe to drive.

You must meet the minimum eyesight requirements to continue driving after 70

When you renew your driving licence, you’ll be prompted to confirm that your eyesight meets the minimum requirements. The requirements aren’t too strict; as a guide you should meet them if you can read a standard car number plate (wearing glasses or contact lenses if you normally wear them) at a distance of twenty metres.

You also need to have an adequate field of vision and meet the demands of the Snell Test (the one where you read rows of letters in ever-decreasing size), so now might be a good time to visit your optician and ask them to give you an eyesight test to put your mind at rest.

When your renewed driving licence arrives, take a moment to check the details carefully. If the code ‘01’ appears on the back of your driving licence, it means ‘eyesight correction’, and you’ll need to make sure you always wear your prescription glasses or contact lenses when behind the wheel.

It’s important to answer honestly when completing the form to renew your driving licence, as you may otherwise be fined or prosecuted if you are involved in a car accident.

https://olderdriversforum.com/the-law-and-the-dvla/

That is not really a fair assumption that anyone with a physical disability is also dull of mind, that way lies disability discrimination and looking down on anyone with a wheelchair.. Forget the sticks the person may well be a CEO of a big company for all you know!

I am not saying a person with a disability is dull of mind what i am saying is if person struggles to walk without a stick how can they move their legs fast enough to do an emergency stop, they may be able to do it but how much further down the road are they when they stop compared to a person without the disability, many disabled people have driving aids fitted to their cars i am talking about the ones that know they have a particular problem but choose to ignore it and carry on driving as if they didn't.

I am not saying a person with a disability is dull of mind what i am saying is if person struggles to walk without a stick how can they move their legs fast enough to do an emergency stop, they may be able to do it but how much further down the road are they when they stop compared to a person without the disability, many disabled people have driving aids fitted to their cars i am talking about the ones that know they have a particular problem but choose to ignore it and carry on driving as if they didn't.

I agree that where cars are adapted there should not be an issue but it's a big assumption people with sticks have problems they are not disclosing. How many younger people are diabetic, epileptic, have a stroke, mental health, drug dependency ( and so on) without declaring that they are unfit.

It just seems a bit arbitrary toi suggest that it is only old folk who are liable to hide important details and so they must be singled out!

Must admit I am surprised that a medical is not needed at 70 and a simple declaration is enough. I understood my license runs out at 70 and was expecting at that point to be tested by a doctor, especially eyesight but there are many things that would indicate unfitness to drive medically. About 7 years ago I just stepped out of my car with my son and bloke ploughed into the bar right outside my house. His car tuned over and two other cars were written off. Turns out he had emphysema and was allowed to drive but he had a massive coughing fit and lost control. He never drove again on medical grounds after that which is fair comment!

My missus isn't fit to drive. It's not that she's old or has a medical condition or owt like that, it's just that,well, she's a woman.

I agree that where cars are adapted there should not be an issue but it's a big assumption people with sticks have problems they are not disclosing. How many younger people are diabetic, epileptic, have a stroke, mental health, drug dependency ( and so on) without declaring that they are unfit.

It just seems a bit arbitrary toi suggest that it is only old folk who are liable to hide important details and so they must be singled out!

Must admit I am surprised that a medical is not needed at 70 and a simple declaration is enough. I understood my license runs out at 70 and was expecting at that point to be tested by a doctor, especially eyesight but there are many things that would indicate unfitness to drive medically. About 7 years ago I just stepped out of my car with my son and bloke ploughed into the bar right outside my house. His car tuned over and two other cars were written off. Turns out he had emphysema and was allowed to drive but he had a massive coughing fit and lost control. He never drove again on medical grounds after that which is fair comment!

Again I am not saying every person that walks with a stick is not fit to drive but what i am saying is there are drivers driving today that shouldn't be and a simple competency test would take them off the road for good.

if I could not drive any more then I could not get out
as I use my car for my mobility scooter to go shopping in and to get to the doctors
a refresher maybe but not a retest I would think there are a lot of folks like me about
so no to a retest from me

OK. All jokes aside - I would say sorry to offend, but I actually like stirring people who make silly claims...

AFAIK there is no mandatory testing here, only the voluntary system of appraisal of one's state by a doctor or geriontologist. (I hope I spelled that right.) We have had a number of people killed by senior drivers in recent years, but when the authorities looked at the figures they found that they were statistically insignificant, unlike young mothers in SUVs backing over children. I really felt for my father as he felt so restricted for things like attending funerals and sick friends, though he has a large family who love him, but he ended up handing in his licence of his own accord.

It is easy to say such testing should be introduced if you are not the one affected, but if you have only had one such incident isn't it an over-reaction? More people die of being struck by lightning or eaten by sharks, but we haven't banned golf or swimming... In fact more people die by having coconuts fall on their head each year - should we ban coconuts?

OK. All jokes aside - I would say sorry to offend, but I actually like stirring people who make silly claims...

AFAIK there is no mandatory testing here, only the voluntary system of appraisal of one's state by a doctor or geriontologist. (I hope I spelled that right.) We have had a number of people killed by senior drivers in recent years, but when the authorities looked at the figures they found that they were statistically insignificant, unlike young mothers in SUVs backing over children. I really felt for my father as he felt so restricted for things like attending funerals and sick friends, though he has a large family who love him, but he ended up handing in his licence of his own accord.

It is easy to say such testing should be introduced if you are not the one affected, but if you have only had one such incident isn't it an over-reaction? More people die of being struck by lightning or eaten by sharks, but we haven't banned golf or swimming... In fact more people die by having coconuts fall on their head each year - should we ban coconuts?

Yes ban coconuts:thumb::lol::lol:

It is easy to say such testing should be introduced if you are not the one affected, but if you have only had one such incident isn't it an over-reaction?
Road vehicles can be dangerous, perhaps one of the most dangerous things we come across in our daily lives unless you don't get out much.
So what this thread is about is recognising that as we all get older our ability to function both mentally and physically deterioriates, and with it our ability to safely be in control of a road vehicle at all times.
A few basic checks at the age at which the decline in human skills usually starts to accelerate is a sensible thing to undertake, in an effort to reduce the number of accidents which can not only affect the person causing the accident but others too, and is certainly not an over-reaction.
Society has recognised the harm that drink driving and using mobile phones can have on a drivers ability and has taken steps to minimise these dangers (as best it can) so in my view assessing older drivers/riders is really no different.
And yes there will be those who find they can't drive a vehicle as a result of these assessments, but then they shouldn't be driving anyway should they?

YES!
This is a good thread.
To me if I wasn't up to driving, or know there might be a problem to others do something about..not actively make a danger.
Been through the hoops so to speak myself.
Landed in hospital as you may know.
Had hand in my licence to the disibilty centre at the hospital.
Cut a long story short..had re apply for my licence back
After two or three failed letters, I was finally deemed ok to go and a 2 hrs class room assessment..1 hour in a car around the grounds of the centre..PASS
Deemed I need at least 4-5 driving lessons out in the road...(getting used to the adabled cars operations for my disibilty...PASS
Then a two hour test...one with the examiner...one with the examiner and the mobility boss..PASS.
Now the hard part getting a car fitted for the aids etc and actually drive..
Think this is so important! If I'm not up to driving in any way...I won't!!
Even now I know my ability to consentrate is lessened by what I'm feeling.
I would hate to cause a accident let alone a death...
Thx for listening on my foffle! Hope the government does something!
Bri

Road vehicles can be dangerous, perhaps one of the most dangerous things we come across in our daily lives unless you don't get out much.
So what this thread is about is recognising that as we all get older our ability to function both mentally and physically deterioriates, and with it our ability to safely be in control of a road vehicle at all times.
A few basic checks at the age at which the decline in human skills usually starts to accelerate is a sensible thing to undertake, in an effort to reduce the number of accidents which can not only affect the person causing the accident but others too, and is certainly not an over-reaction.
Society has recognised the harm that drink driving and using mobile phones can have on a drivers ability and has taken steps to minimise these dangers (as best it can) so in my view assessing older drivers/riders is really no different.
And yes there will be those who find they can't drive a vehicle as a result of these assessments, but then they shouldn't be driving anyway should they?

I cannot really argue with your logic however it depends on the extent of what the assessment is. I could envisage people being assessed to see if they can physically control th vehicle and if there are any ailments that may impair them from driving. i do not see the point of putting older people through a driving test, it would have to be based on their ability to control the vehicle and plan a route based on problems they may have and this is not the intent of the current driving test.

There are perfectly good reasons why everyone could/should be checked at regular ( 5 -10 year) intervals to determine their continued suitability following a one off test but I think that this is a whole different issue from aged people with specific problems that can be medically identified in a static or off road test and not the complete road test again where they may fail on a single minor issue and therefore discriminated against purely because they are old..

i walk with a stick. have done for 7 years because of a knackered up back. i also have MS but that doesn't affect me driving at all. i drive as good and safe as i have ever done. i have to reapply for my licence every 3 years and have a medical too. ill be totally honest here. if i ever felt i was not safe to drive i would not. thats me. i for one think people should be assessed of their capabilities to drive safely. its a no brainer to me but at what age? i couldnt honestly say as everyone is individual. its a tough call on age

If only everyone was like you, Mick!

My point is that elderly drivers tend to drive slowly, more carefully and less often, so if it weren't for the car industry pushing more profitable but planet-destroying SUVs deaths due to their reduced capabilities would be pretty much non-existent. Probably all drivers should be re-tested and special licences required for heavier and larger vehicles, but this is found to be burdensome and expensive so I question if it is fair to impose it on one sector of the community which is responsible for far less than their share of traffic related injuries?

Insurance companies here tried to impose restrictions on disabled drivers at one point, even though they again are below average on the accident statistics. You do realise who is usually behind such arguments?

i walk with a stick. have done for 7 years because of a knackered up back. i also have MS but that doesn't affect me driving at all. i drive as good and safe as i have ever done. i have to reapply for my licence every 3 years and have a medical too. ill be totally honest here. if i ever felt i was not safe to drive i would not. thats me. i for one think people should be assessed of their capabilities to drive safely. its a no brainer to me but at what age? i couldnt honestly say as everyone is individual. its a tough call on age

Yeah a tough call,
I think the message that like minded people like me n u are saying...knowingly drive a car or what ever that its can be dangerous, your putting yourselves and others at risk!! Like committing a crime...
Thinks it's everybodies common sence no matter how old they are to do a volunteery assessment of some sort....or done something about it! Before some body get injured of killed.
Like the last two or three days I could think of driving, but today I've rested, feel stronger, and going to pick my daughter up.
I'll be avidly looking at this thread.
Thx for viewing
Bri

i really think a fit to drive, practical assessment should be required as im sure most people would agree so. the system at the moment is just not good enough and really needs addressing. i watched the programs on tv showing elderly drivers. some even 100. now to me thats just not right at all. their reflexes are not good enough to drive safely and viewing them on tv., Stevie Wonder could see that. modern medicines have given us a much better chance of living longer. that doesnt say we are fit to drive what in essence is a deadly weapon.

The selfish side of me says get as many people of the road for any reason to lower traffic. But to answer the poll I would want to know the statistics. It could make more sense to make anyone who has more that a certain no of crashes be retested regardless of age. My grandmother was asked to surrender he license voluntarily after a parking crash she never noticed she had at the age of 89 and still talks about redoing her test now at 92.

Latest posts

Back