Imperial stout stuck fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B1gBill

Reaction score
As with title started an imperial stout must be 10 days now
Consisting of wilko stout youngs larger and an out of date coopers dark ale plus 1kg of brewers sugar and 250 g of crushed chocolate malt grains steeped
So all ingredients mixed up and added to a fv
Had a starting gravity of 1.097
Pitched 2 7g packets of kit yeast from youngs and wilko cans at unfortunately 26 C fermented at 20 C
After 24 hrs had a volcanic fermentation and has been bubbling gently once head collapsed
So tested the other day to see how she doing at sitting at 1.039 tested again today still at 1.039 and tasting sweet
So is it ok to pitch a pack of wilko yeast to kick start her again
This is an Autumn drink as I know she needs time to mellow
Any input much appreciated

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You can, and it might work, but it might now. I'd rehydrate the yeast 10 minutes before pitching it to activate it.

You could try a gentle swirl of the FV,try and rouse some more action.What was your expected FG out of interest? it's at about 7.6% at present i think.

What about yeast nutrient? I use it in mead to get the ABV as high as it can go. I put it in beers and it seems to help.

Should I be doing that BTW?!

You could try a gentle swirl of the FV,try and rouse some more action.What was your expected FG out of interest? it's at about 7.6% at present i think.
Was hoping to get between .015 and .020 it was a bit of a tweak from the coopers site but aiming for 10.5 to 11ish

It is possible that your kit yeasts have gone as far as they can go at 7.6%, even though the attenuation is only about 60%. A target of 10% plus might be better suited to a medium to high alcohol ale yeast. Others may be able to comment on the alcohol tolerance of Wilko/Nottingham yeast, since I couldn't find any details.
That said a gentle rouse and raising the temperature a degree or two might do the trick :thumb:

Cheers for the help
Let you know how it is come Christmas 😁

It might be that the yeast ran out of steam. Adding a new strain without making it into a big starter might not work. If you have another FV I would be tempted to brew another kit with some yeast that's known to be better with higher %. Then once that's finished pour your stout onto the yeast cake thats there. This will be like making a big starter for the stout and might help it to finish....just an idea.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

It might be that the yeast ran out of steam. Adding a new strain without making it into a big starter might not work. If you have another FV I would be tempted to brew another kit with some yeast that's known to be better with higher %. Then once that's finished pour your stout onto the yeast cake thats there. This will be like making a big starter for the stout and might help it to finish....just an idea.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Yeah, that would rip through it. My RIS was 1.102 and pitched onto a yeast cake. Fermentation was finished within 2 days with no off flavours in the trial jar.

id expect that to go down to 1026 or so. dont think you will get much lower tbh. id try rousing the yeast and raising the temp a few degrees if you can. the post above is bang on if you cannot get it going. make another beer kit up with a packet of notty. after that kits finished , bottle or whatever you like then use the yeast at bottom to pitch into your imperial stout.

Cheers for the suggestions got no fvs left at the minute
With a cider a Perry and this going but will certainty try rasing temp and a gentle stir
May pop in local hbs and see if they got any high alc ale yeast

I had a stuck fermentation in a stout once. Fixed it by raising temp to 25, giving yeast bed a swirl (very carefully), and throwing 50g of table sugar in.

Failing that, re-rack, leaving as much of the yeast behind as you can, and pitch a similar but different strain of yeast.

Not sure about the yeast you pitched, but 14g for a very high OG, doesn't seem anywhere near enough.

Thanks for the input
I bought some yeast from lhbs yesterday but in anticipation
I gave a big stir last night and raised temp even bought a new fv to give it a go
Just checked and down to 1.030 nowhere near as sweet so going to leave as is and just check sg over next couple of days
As am going to leave it to mature not sure if to bottle or buy a wilko keg and just keep it topped up with gas
Suggestions most welcome

I had a stuck fermentation in a stout once. Fixed it by raising temp to 25, giving yeast bed a swirl (very carefully), and throwing 50g of table sugar in.

Failing that, re-rack, leaving as much of the yeast behind as you can, and pitch a similar but different strain of yeast.

Not sure about the yeast you pitched, but 14g for a very high OG, doesn't seem anywhere near enough.

I got 12.86% from a single packet of mangrove jacks yeast it was good for 14% I did re-hydrate it first.

Latest posts

Back