Help with siphoning please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,
Being a bit annoyed with my syphining tbh!
No matter what I tried to get the liquid out (beer or wine) trub always gets in the secondary...
This would be ok with two hands..and I've got loads of syphon equipment (including a auto syphon) but alas with one hand I'm getting p off tbh!
Was thinking the best way to filter or syphon?
If I get a mini pump...manage to get the lead in and with one hand manage to syphon the beer out without disturbing the trub...ok I know I'll not get 100% but worth a shot..what u think?
Inline filter, might be a shot?
Don't know about it only researching on the net..
So any links for the pump set up..& inline filter I would be really chuffed (my online research for eqt is shocking as most know! :doh:
Looking at ingrediace (**** spelling!) and simple solutions...I'd never think of (doesn't take much to get me not thinking lol)
One thing I find is conical SS brewBucket helps great but only got one of them..in time be a couple of the BB minis coming to my aid...shiny shiny and two of them will fit in the tall ferm fridge nicely
Thx for viewing and not laughing too much haha!
Bri

Dunno about pumps and what not but just cut your racking cane shorter so it's above the level of the trub. That way you wont get any in your secondary. Then when the level of the beer is getting close to the bottom of the syphon tip the FV and put a fat book (or something similar) to get the beer thats below the bottom of the racking cane but above the trub.

I bet you've already got one as I know you love a bit of kit, Bri, but if you havent get a syphon clip ( https://burnleyhomebrew.co.uk/index...oduct_id=618&gclid=CN2Vy96HttMCFVG6Gwod_CQEuA ) this will make syphoning one handed infinately easier (it makes syphoning two handed infinately easier :lol:)

Haha!! Guys you know me so well
Aye got the Brian (clip lol)
Tried tons of times tbh! The auto with the trub gaurd thingy as you can imaging being a fly on my wall trying to syphon with the one hand comical to say the least!
What I would give at them times with two hands!
Tbh I strive to get every stage with the right kit, and learn to use the kit....boy! If there's something wrong or I'm not happy I'm my own enemy lol
Thinking what part of the making is letting me down all the time...I know what your thinking haha! Go on say it for a laugh lol
Sometimes as you know I can't see the woods for the trees! Or what ever it is lol
And as u know I put into a lot of thought to adapt things and don't give up easy!!
Friday nite I might have a bottle to yous...the Doppelbock
Thank again for putting up with my stupidity and woffling..where would I be without yous.
Happy Friday all
Bri

Bri as advised above a bucket clip (they also work on demijohns) is a great piece of kit and i also have one, another good tip is using an extra long racking cane for FV's/DJ's, (i like the one below but was too tight to by one so made my own) if you put the racking cane into the bucket clip then put a clothes peg above the bucket clip it will hold the cane end above the sediment and you can gently lower it as the level in the FV/DJ drops.

Its Shiny - https://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/racking-cane-stainless-steel.html

sscane.jpg

Have you tried a siphon clip so the tube attaches to the fv?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M74BJW3/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The above arrived today and I will be giving them a go this weeeknd

Leon
You be onto a winner with them...
Refused to shop at Amazon after twice knicking £79 out of my bank..after a heated exchange (one way conversation!) stress levels restored...
Could you tell me how you are going to set up the filtering pal...be great with pictures! Tubing n all that..
Might help me no end...
Chuffed ta bits Leon got something to research :-)
Thx
Bri

Last edited by a moderator:
Leon
You be onto a winner with them...
Refused to shop at Amazon after twice knicking �£79 out of my bank..after a heated exchange (one way conversation!) stress levels restored...
Could you tell me how you are going to set up the filtering pal...be great with pictures! Tubing n all that..
Might help me no end...
Chuffed ta bits Leon got something to research :-)
Thx
Bri

I guess you got stung with amazon prime charges.

AMazon is deadly.

I hope to bottle/keg at the weekend so I will take some pictures. I haven't opened the parcel yet but they came from China, although delivery was quick.

I guess you got stung with amazon prime charges.

AMazon is deadly.

I hope to bottle/keg at the weekend so I will take some pictures. I haven't opened the parcel yet but they came from China, although delivery was quick.

Hi pal,
Thinking the same ones on Evilbay I can order..nowt to lose (well unless I forgot what I'm ordering as online buying isn't best thing)
Then wait for you to show me the crack...if you don't mind? Don't mean to pretesive or this what I mean to say! Nearly midnite, meds onboard and a Doppelbock lol
The so much
Bri

hi brian,
i have a tube with a bung in the end of it,it has 2 holes an inch up from the end of the tube.
with a pair of s/s nuts[weights] to sink it to the bottom.i slowly lower the tube into the f.v.
then it siphons off the beer just above the trub. easy to make did mine with a hot glue gun.
but easy to bock off the end and make a pair of holes with a hot pen knife.

Haha!! Guys you know me so well
Aye got the Brian (clip lol)
Tried tons of times tbh! The auto with the trub gaurd thingy as you can imaging being a fly on my wall trying to syphon with the one hand comical to say the least!
What I would give at them times with two hands!

Thank again for putting up with my stupidity and woffling..where would I be without yous.
Happy Friday all
Bri

Na for stupidity you'll have a long way to go to beat me. My first attempt at siphoning ended up with me getting an early mouthful of Chocolate Maple Porter and my son exclaiming "I'm nae drinking that!!" :lol:
Anyway I've got an auto siphon on order so hopefully my next attempt is a bit more successful :thumb:

Bri as advised above a bucket clip (they also work on demijohns) is a great piece of kit and i also have one, another good tip is using an extra long racking cane for FV's/DJ's, (i like the one below but was too tight to by one so made my own) if you put the racking cane into the bucket clip then put a clothes peg above the bucket clip it will hold the cane end above the sediment and you can gently lower it as the level in the FV/DJ drops.

Its Shiny - https://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/racking-cane-stainless-steel.html

sscane.jpg

I've got to get me one of those !!! @richytrue look, hope and grape is near the Darlo office too, but currently out of stock.

Rich and I struggled with our first 30 bottle kit syphoning last night, well slightly, and a longer cane would have helped if we'd had a way of gradually moving it lower and lower without keeping stopping

Na for stupidity you'll have a long way to go to beat me. My first attempt at siphoning ended up with me getting an early mouthful of Chocolate Maple Porter and my son exclaiming "I'm nae drinking that!!" :lol:
Anyway I've got an auto siphon on order so hopefully my next attempt is a bit more successful :thumb:

Haha!!!
Aye them auto syphon are good...if you two hand s and patience to do it right!!
You can imagine how many times I've tried differ ways to do the job! BUT alas it's just not workin for me...
Hence the inline filter idea...
Not that I'm a perfectionist far from it but at the mo I'm let down with this simple stage of the whole set up!!
End of the day (apart from gettting dark!) I could present a final glass o beer etc.
In the know I've done every stage, every process 100% from learning, no cutting corner...'By the book' so to speak!
Thinking from a conical FV to the secondary via a filter would serve me well..
Ease of operation...simple one handed to set up etc..
Looking fwd to pictures of the filtering set up..coz my battered brain is bet looking visually to do something than reading it!! Confusion reigns with that tbh lol
More time today filtering and the beast filtering set up..filters, pipes etc where to buy is the hard for me...
But I'll get it sorted slowly with the help.
So thank you all so for for helping and putting up with my woffle lol
Bri

If you use a FV like one of these > https://burnleyhomebrew.co.uk/index...oduct_id=261&gclid=CPecqbblt9MCFUI_Gwodo9cI0w You can get a small block of wood made the correct height to leave say 3 inches deadspace from bottom of fermenter to bottom of syphon with a hole drilled in it that snugly fits your syphon tube, glue it in or use some tape to ensure it stays tight, then strap the wood/syphon down to the fermenter thru the hole in it's screw top lid with a small bungee cord using the fermenter handles as fixing points, this should be relatively easy to strap together with one hand, you might need someone to sort the wooden block out for you though.

Once made though it would do time and again and would require no extra cleaning.

If you use a FV like one of these > https://burnleyhomebrew.co.uk/index...oduct_id=261&gclid=CPecqbblt9MCFUI_Gwodo9cI0w You can get a small block of wood made the correct height to leave say 3 inches deadspace from bottom of fermenter to bottom of syphon with a hole drilled in it that snugly fits your syphon tube, glue it in or use some tape to ensure it stays tight, then strap the wood/syphon down to the fermenter thru the hole in it's screw top lid with a small bungee cord using the fermenter handles as fixing points, this should be relatively easy to strap together with one hand, you might need someone to sort the wooden block out for you though.

Once made though it would do time and again and would require no extra cleaning.

You guessed it! I have one of them FV's..
Just faffing in with a crude set up! But for all the sediment won't get held in..but better than nowt!! The whole idea is getting the **** out and yeast into the secondary...& at the mo I'm getting more of unwanted **** in my 2ndry... with messing the the syphon..
Might work?

As u can see one handed...:grin:
Food for thought me thinks lol
More looking on the net....
Just wanted yous that I do think now n then haha! :doh:
Enjoying this...
Bri
Btw! FV to conical has an added bonus...the conical trub n **** will settle well below the outlet hose...
Hoping that's nuff yeast left to do the carbonation of my bottles..should do!!:thumb:
Bri

@manxnorton

Sorry for the delay but hear is what I did. First image is my equipment for transferring to a secondary and then bottling.

I find the tubing with thread inside (Can't remember it's correct name) a lot better because you can straighten it.

I have included an image of what it looks like in a clear fermenter.

You can see I place the tube and filter just about the trub and it all stays behind. Those filter work brilliantly. If you need anything else let me know.

IMG_4580.JPG

IMG_4581.JPG

IMG_4582.JPG

IMG_4583.JPG

bloody hell!
never thought about the filter at the end of the hose!
what a great solution.
thank you so much, ill get a pack of them filters from china :D
if I not any hose thatll fit what size is it by any chance? think I have somewhere.
should be great for me.
thx @Leon103 appreciate it.
Bri

bloody hell!
never thought about the filter at the end of the hose!
what a great solution.
thank you so much, ill get a pack of them filters from china :D
if I not any hose thatll fit what size is it by any chance? think I have somewhere.
should be great for me.
thx @Leon103 appreciate it.
Bri

This is th tube I use

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221308449071

I use 10mm and the filter fits perfectly. 10mm also means the fv drains really quickly

Brian you're not using your underpants over that bucket are you???

Hahaha!!! There our lasses small pair!
Sanitized of course!
Bri

Latest posts

Back