Lager sugar & yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APINTA

Regular.
Reaction score
I am going to make my first attempt at making Lager after a break of 40 years which was the last time I made it and tasted ****. I have read the reviews and looked on here and the best one I have been told to go for is Coopers European lager I was also looking at Festival New Zealand larger as well Which would the better one to do? I see that coopers Larger comes with a good standard yeast I do not know what the festive one comes with and what type of yeast it will have with the kit. Also what sort of sugar should I buy Standard Home sugar, Brewing sugar, or is there anything else I should use? Also What I would like is a lager that tastes like Lager and not a ale real taste or the bitter taste I had when I made a Tom Caxton Lager kit back then (By the way are they still going) also while it is fermenting was informed no heating for the FB is that also correct?

Wow lots of questions. I'm only replying because I've done a coopers european lager so can at least five you some feedback on that. So I thought the coppers was a lot like Stella. Not the ****e you get now but how Stella used to taste. Did have a hint of a Dutch lager to it as well so if you like Stella and Heineken then you should be happy. Citrusy would be the word I'd use to describe. From a brewing point of view it uses ale yeast which doesn't make it taste like ale I hasten to add. I'm assuming your bottling if so put carbonation drops in and use at least two per bottle. To get the fizziness of lager I would do three per bottle but I'd only advise that if your using pet bottles.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

There is a lager kit that does use lager yeast its talked about a lot on here so do a search. But unless you've got the ability to do the temp control for lager yeast and lagering your stuck with ale yeasts.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

You need to reread the reviews, including the responses to your earlier post on the Coopers Eu lager
The Coopers yeast has a lager yeast but Coopers recommend you ferment at 21*C . You will probably need more lager yeast if you want to ferment at low temperatures, although some get away without. As it's a one can you will need extra fermentables. Table sugar is not normally recommended, but you can add dextrose (brewing sugar) or spray malt or a mixture of the two. It's your choice.
As a premium kit the Festival kit has all you need. Reading the review it says the recommended temperature is 21*C and no eggy smell so it probably comes with an ale yeast.
You will only find out how you like one or the other by having a go, like I have done with the Coopers kit.
So yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice.

You need to reread the reviews, including the responses to your earlier post on the Coopers Eu lager
The Coopers yeast has a lager yeast but Coopers recommend you ferment at 21*C . You will probably need more lager yeast if you want to ferment at low temperatures, although some get away without. As it's a one can you will need extra fermentables. Table sugar is not normally recommended, but you can add dextrose (brewing sugar) or spray malt or a mixture of the two. It's your choice.
As a premium kit the Festival kit has all you need. Reading the review it says the recommended temperature is 21*C and no eggy smell so it probably comes with an ale yeast.
You will only find out how you like one or the other by having a go, like I have done with the Coopers kit.
So yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice.

Yes Sorry I forgot about that

Back